Monday, April 19

Green Day

Going for the green! Betsy left out the Veganomicon cook book with a note pointing me to a quinoa salad -- a very simple thing of cooked quinoa (I cooked it in a vegetarian "chicken" broth just for shits n' giggles), black beans, fresh diced mango, cilantro, red pepper, scallion, red wine vinegar and grapeseed oil, and a dash of salt of course. I was starving when I got home from the markets, so I made the dish, but the quinoa was still cooking and the beans go in last to prevent breaking, so I used what was basically a mango-cilantro salsa on a sardine sandwich. And MAN was it good. Hot dolly it was good!

Dinner was a piece of frozen fish dredged in some overly-salty commercial cornmeal mix (I will make it myself from now on) and sauteed spinach and mushrooms -- not the greatest dinner, but filling.

Looking back, the banana bread is on the edge of being a dessert, with brown sugar and butter. BUT it is also banana and whole wheat flour (and freshly homemade), so I'll give myself a pass this time. I wonder how long I'll stay in the green tomorrow?

AM SNACK: 8:15am, iced mint green tea

BREAKFAST: 10:45am, the good yogurt with honey, vanilla and almonds, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 1:30pm, a saltless wholewheat pretzel

LUNCH: 4pm, sardine and mango salsa sandwich on demihippy bread, a large bowl of quinoa salad, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 8:30pm, cornmeal encrusted baked ocean perch with sauteed spinach & mushrooms, green salad, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, freshly baked whole wheat banana bread, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 10:30pm, multigrain tortilla chips with salsa, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: