Friday, July 2

Pancakes of My Father

A pleasant day on the bike with Edles -- in the morning running chores and visiting the HVS for a nice lunch, in the afternoon riding the new East River Park promenade and hitting the swings and slides with B.

AM SNACK: 7:15am, iced green tea


BREAKFAST: 9:30am, wholewheat banana pancakes, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
I made these from scratch, using about 2/3 whole wheat flour and 1/3 AP. Wish I had buttermilk on hand to kick it up a notch. Edie ate a few little bites of pancake, she seemed to really dig it.

My dad would make pancakes for me and my brother when we were kids, usually on a weekend, usually as my mom stayed in bed (she wouldn't sleep in -- she would lay in bed in her housecoat and smoke cigarettes while watching TV.) The pancakes were from a mix, usually involving having to add oil, milk and eggs. Which is nuts, really -- basically you add all the wet ingredients that you have to mix in a from-scratch effort, while the dry elements are pre-mixed for you, only with lots of chemicals like anti-caking agents, preservatives, artificial flavors (to get that "butter" taste), and so on. I really wish my dad was around to see me feed Edie a little bit of good pancake. Not to compete, or to even show him something, just so he would know that I'm building on the platform that he set for me.

Maybe I need to get a TV in the bedroom, and get Betsy smoking?

SNICKLELUNCH: 1:15pm, vegan Cesar salad, vegan raw falafel & tabouli, vegan raw mint sundae, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 6:30pm, Singapore chow mei fun, wonton soup, shrimp toast, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: