Thursday, August 19

Damn good dinner

Woke up after about 5 hours of sleep feeling great but tired -- four day weekend! Edie! Edie! Edie! Edie & I went to a play group at the local community center to show off her new walking skills, and we played mock-telephone for a solid 30 minutes. We came home, and Yomomma met us so she could take Edie while I ran chores.

I found myself inordinately hungry, probably due to lack of sleep -- I know interrupted sleeping can mess with blood sugar. So I went to my favorite cheapo dumpling place and ordered a fried rice along with the dumplings -- I was the only white person in the shop, and their fried rice is definitely different in style than a take out place, really good. I got home from running errands around 2, and me and Edie immediately went to a local mom's apartment for a playdate with about 8 others -- kids a-poppin'. Though I wanted to save my appetite for the evening, I could not help but late a few cookies jump down my throat.

Home by 4:30, out on my bike by 5:30 to meet Y for dinner at Daniel. This is the rare 5-star restaurant in NYC, I even took a tour of the place when I was in C-school. It was impressive then, and eating there did not diminish that impression. I suspect they must have 2 people on staff for every customer, crazy. The prices were not cheap, but still, how do they make money?

BREAKFAST: 8am, toasted pumpernickel bagel with creamcheese, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: noon, shrimp fried rice, pork dumplings, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 2:30pm, a small handful of homemade chocolate chip cookies, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 6pm, a taste of peas three ways, garlic Parmesan focaccia, seared scallops with a chorizo crust, a bite of foi gras over melon, duo of beef (braised short rib and wagu tenderloin) with tomato veloute in a natural jus, a bite of snapper with an avocado preparation, hazelnut sable with milk flavored ice cream, chocolate peanut butter ganache, mini madelines, petite fours, water, 1.75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Dinner at Daniel with Y for her birthday. Pretty fantastic from beginning to end.

No comments: