Friday, June 3

Cookin' for fun

Woke up at 4 after 6 hours of sleep and couldn't get back to sleep. Got a lot done before lunch, a few recipes, laundry, Rufus to the vet and other chores. When B & E went down for a nap, I found myself failing and fell asleep too. I woke up to find them gone. I tried to watch TV but felt restless, so I went into the kitchen and cooked some more, just because it was fun. A bad movie on tv then to bed early, not a bad day.


TODAY'S COOKING
Tomato Sauce: A little too much balsamic forced me to balance it out with a bit of sugar, which resulted in a big flavor. Hmmm.
Lame Potato Salad: B made me make this, pretty run of the mill. Replaced dried tarragon with fresh, quartered the potatoes after boiling, eh.
Goldfish crackers: Used this recipe, came out pretty good. Used all whole wheat flour, and didn't have any onion powder. Used a sharp, sharp Australian cheddar that gave these some character, The commercial stuff has relatively few ingredients, too, though they use a blend of vegetable oil instead of butter, and their cheddar is so....generic. These had some oomf.
Pumpernickel loaf: Threw everything in the bread machine. Good thing I didn't go out, because the dough looked too dry, so I was able to slip in a half cup of water while kneading and it came out ok.
Granola bar crumble: Gotta apply the binder while it's still hot and press it quick -- the brown sugar recrystallizes and is an important factor in helping bind -- I let come to room temp and had to shatter it out of the pan and into another, silly.

AM SNACK: 5am, iced green tea


BREAKFAST: 6:30am, fruit smoothie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: 11:15am, 1 fish stick, health salad, potato salad, 1 ice cream square, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACKING: 3-6pm, goldfish crackers, watermelon, an ice cream square, granola, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 8:30pm, small bowl of ziti with sauce, a pickle, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: