Tuesday, August 9

Sweet attack

Tried to go without sweets, and it just made me feel urgggg and I ran out to the corner shop to pick up some sweets. Part of it was the meal prior -- pasta has a high glycemic index, the other part was since I didn't have anything sweet on hand where I could have had a small amount and cut it with nuts or peanut butter, instead I ate a lot more sweets. I need to keep chips or the like on hand, but keep them hidden from my ravenous wife! Unfortunately, all she has to do is read this blog if she wants to know if there are sweets in the house. Hrumph.

TODAY'S COOKING:
Tomato Sauce: Experimented a little on this batch. While cooking my aromatics -- onion, carrot, thyme, roasted garlic -- I added a tiny can of tomato paste and cooked that, too, before adding the whole canned tomatoes through a mill. Seasoned with salt, a little Tabasco, a little Worcestershire.

When making beef stock in culinary school, some tomato paste would be added and roasted on the bones to add richness. Even my dad would always add tomato paste to his sauce. Here in this sauce, I could taste it....and I don't like it. Yes, it gives a certain richness, a certain umami  edge to the sauce, but it also gives a more cooked, almost canned flavor to the sauce that is counter to the bright freshness that I like about making a homemade sauce -- it should taste like it's proud not be from a jar, not just a better version of a jarred sauce, if that makes any sense.


BREAKFAST: 8:30am, organic chex with organic dead milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 12:30pm, large piece of watermelon, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: 2:30pm, breaded tilapia, health salad, water,  .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 5:15pm, handful of sunchips 

DINNER: 6pm, pasta with sauce, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 8:30pm, 2 cheap ice cream cones, small pack of chocolate chip cookies, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: