Wednesday, January 25

Brisket n' Gravy

A really nice day, despite a rough night. Betsy cancelled her plans and stayed in to sleep, so I took Edie to school with Mil strapped to my chest. After drop off, had a nice wander down to Pier 51, and walked Mil in circles in an empty light-filled mall dining room while I read magazines and the phone for an hour, then sat with a sleeping baby and read for another hour. It's one of those things I'll miss when they're older. I remember when Edie was around the same age I took her down to the Pier (though it was warmer out) and we sat out on a terrace and watched the boats pass.

In BOTH instances, however, multiple Asian tourists stopped to ask how old the baby is and take pictures of us. Hrumph!

Still eating well. Had big cravings of cookies/brownies/ice cream last night, good thing nothing was on hand other than the usual or I would have gone nuts. I think it was a combination of not eating a big enough dinner/feeling stressed from awake kids/feeling a little blue about whatever. I think right now the key to really making a difference is not getting bored with what I'm eating. Brussels are a good addition to the regular spinach, I think broccoli needs to make a comeback ASAP.

TODAY'S COOKING:
Brisket: 2.5 pound flat cut into the Le Cruset pot, covered in red wine and beef stock, a bunch of crushed garlic cloves, smoked paprika, a little brown sugar, a little onion powder, salt, a packet of dried porcinis. 250 for 5 hours.

The meat surprised me by literally falling apart when I took it out of the pot to rest. I strained the braising juice, and created some roux in the pot with 1/8 cup of flour and equal parts butter. After the cooked, I whisked the braising liquid in to make some kick-ass gravy that would not be denied.

Not sure if I like this. The meat is at once moist, dry, tender and tough. The gravy helped greatly though. One thing for sure, the "beefy" flavor of the meat is much stronger than any quick-cooked tender cut, and very appealing.


AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea


BREAKFAST: 8am, smoothie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Banana, grapes, milk & yogurt, cherries, mango, blueberries and peach, flax & spirulina, salt & vanilla. After not eating her waffle, Edie shouted, "Noisy ice cream! Want some!" I told her to sit and I'd make her a bowl, and she quickly did so. I gave her a bit in a plastic bowl and a spoon, and she eagerly lapped it up, asking for more twice. During eating, she said, "Mmmmm I love it!" and "Oooooo blueberry noisy ice cream!"


LUNCH: 1:15pm, momma salad, sauteed shrimp, butternut squash soup, whole wheat Ritz crackers, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 5pm, slice of swiss, a few wholegrain pretzels


DINNER: 6pm, brisket & gravy on wholewheat toast, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Was gonna make a green to go with this, but B&E&e were causing all sorts of chaos and pressure, so I had to get in quick.



EVENING SNACK: 8pm, potato chips, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 9pm, chocolate chips & peanuts, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: