Tuesday, January 24

Brussels n' Burgers

Woke up surprisingly achy from what I thought was a casual bike ride yesterday -- I estimate I ended up riding about 20 miles at a VERY relaxed pace, but fact is I haven't done any distance at all since Mil popped out on us.

A bunch of things have fallen to the wayside since the baby came, some of which I've brought back since getting sick over the holidays: Lifting weights twice a week, eating healthy, cooking 6/7 days. Some things have not come back, particularly focusing on getting my knish concept off the ground. B goes back to work next week -- will it drift further away or will I find the time and energy to refocus?


TODAY'S COOKING:
Curry Carrot Dip, take 2: Boiled 1 lb of carrots for full 15 minutes, used the small work bowl of the full-size food processor, all came out nice n' smooth.

Butternut Squash Soup: Sauteed onion, carrot, celery and leek in olive oil for a solid 30 minutes until soft. Put one full chopped up squash on top an covered with veg stock, let simmer for 20. Blended. Surprisingly salt-balanced from what I added to the mire poix and from the stock. Lacking fat and cream, but B insisted on a vegan soup, boooo.


Roasted Brussel Sprouts: Third time I've made these in the past few weeks. I'm finding fresh cook faster and darker at 400/20 minutes. This batch came out overcooked, blackened, but still delicious. A bit bitter, but a perfect foil to the the sweet-ish soup.


Burgers: I bought a brisket at Wholefoods today, thinking I'll braise it tomorrow. On a whim, cut off 1/2 pound of it, cubed it, ground it, added some minced raw onion, Worcestershire, salt and pepper, fried in butter, put on some nice buns out of the freezer. Pretty good, maybe a little overcooked and crumbly.


BREAKFAST: 10:30am, good yogurt with honey, peanuts, vanilla, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Forgot to put the brewed tea into the fridge last night, so I skipped it.

LUNCH: 12:30pm, shuyo ramen, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Treated myself to lunch out at Rai Rai Ken.


PM SNACK: 4pm, leftover chicken mushu and veg fried rice, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Was about to eat some momma style salad but saw this in the fridge -- if it didn't get eaten today, would probably have to toss it. Good to mix it up a little -- it's good to increase my veg game, but at the same time things gotta be mixed up.


DINNER: 5:45pm, 2 freshly ground hamburgers on sprouted wholewheat buns, butternut squash soup, roasted brussel sprouts, 7.5oz ginger ale, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 8pm, chocolate chips & raw cashews, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: