Sunday, January 29

A Model Sunday

Got to bed around 9pm, feeling run down. Slept fitfully, because/regardless of baby getting up for B to feed, but thank goodness Edie slept through the night. Woke up with slightly stuffy nose and sore throat, but full of energy. Perhaps my better diet is pulling me through? Spent the first half of the day food shopping with Edie then making apple pies, the middle of the day hosting a nice brunch with K&C, a respite of taking Edie out for an hour to run around, then the the third part of the day was a bike ride to Park Slope to meet E for adult dinner. A pretty good Sunday, bye the bye.

One thing of note, I had no cravings in the evening, but dinner was rather heavy. Also, this emerging head cold got me in bed by 11, which may have had an effect on my evening appetite...


TODAY'S COOKING:
Apple Pie: Entertaining guests, most food was either dead simple (roasting brussels, making bagel chips, searing shrimp) or already made (carrot dip, pumpkin knishes) but no real desserts on hand. So this morning I made the dough, a doubling of this recipe, and in the late morning made some free-style apple pie filling - 10 lbs of granny smiths peeled, cored and sliced, a handful of brown sugar, handful of white, a scoop of cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, salt, a big dash of corn starch for thickening goo-action. Rolled out dough between pieces of wax paper to make the transfer easier, but the side against the stone still got a little sticky. Over all, though, these were some of the better looking pies I've done (though if I had a cold room, it would be a lot easier, or maybe next time I'll roll in wax then put them in the fridge for an hour....)

The three pies came out OK, a little bit dry on the inside for my taste, the crust a little gummy. Maybe I should have let them go a little longer in the oven...

Shrimp veloute: Inspired by the brisket gravy, I tapped my c-school memories and made a simple sauce for the shrimp. Instead of throwing out the shrimp shells, I simmered them in a pint of water for about 30 minutes with some bay leaves. Strained it into a holding bowl, then whisked 2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of flour in the pot until it smelled toasty. Slowly fed the hot shrimp stock into the pan and soon had what was essentially shrimp gravy. Seasoned with Bay Seasoning, the same stuff I had seasoned the shrimp with. Simple, relatively light, a nice wet coat for the dry shrimp.


AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea


BREAKFAST: 8:15am, smoothie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Banana, yogurt, milk, grapes, mango, cherry, blueberry, peach, spirulina, flax, salt, vanilla. While feeding it to Edie, B objected, saying I put all sorts of crap in it, like honey. I asked her, dude, do you ever read my obsessive blog entries?!

PM SNACK: noon, handful of dry roasted almonds

LUNCH: 2pm, bagel chips & carrot dip, shrimp with veloute, pumpkin knish, roasted brussel sprouts, apple pie, grenadine soda, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 6:15pm, fatty burger, duck fat fries, bread pudding, 1 cup of beer, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Out in Brooklyn to some nice restaurants in Park Slope with a good friend, while Betsy held down the fort like I did on Friday. Not the healthiest food, but it was nice to indulge. The burger was waygu beef with bacon fat, a onion confit, homemade ketchup, but I had them hold the gouda, as I did not want to risk a dairy-chop meat explosion in my body....

No comments: