Friday, January 13

Reimagining momma-style salad.

Visited a friend in DUMBO in the morning with Mil, then off to the doc for Mil's 2 month check in (all is well.) Picked up Edie from school but it was too cold and bitter to stay out.

Upped my veg & fruit game today, thinking of strategies to keep this a little more of a habit. I think it's time for the return, and perhaps the further development of the the momma-style salad. My default is how my dad made salad -- lettuce based, finely chopped, dressed and eaten with a fork, many ingredients. My mom's style, however, was few items (usually carrot, cucumber and bell pepper) cut into large chunks and dressed with nothing but a sprinkle of salt, maybe a drop of olive oil, eaten with fingers. I think it'll be fun to explore some vegetable options to add to this, figure out some more interesting but simple ways of dressing. I've never made this kind of salad other than for immediate eating, perhaps I can make it in quantity to eat over a few days...

TODAY'S COOKING
Pasta with spinach and roasted garlic: This meal is not so remarkable, except for Edie's reaction. Boiled up some tri-color fusilli, sauteed frozen garlic with olive oil, red pepper flakes, salt, roasted two heads of going-bad garlic in the oven for two hours, and combined all with a cup of freshly grated parm and a little bit of tomato sauce, just enough to give a coat and a subtle tomato hint, not saucy. Finished with a splash of olive oil.

I was content to eat this in front of a video screen, as the fam had already eaten. Edie was running around burning off energy, and as she is wont to do, runs up to me and says, "Want it! Want papa food!" So I give her  bit off my fork, she runs out, runs back in and shouts, "I love it papa! More!" And this repeats about 10 times or so, just gobbling up my spinachy pasta. A whole 'nuther level of cooking satisfaction!

AM SNACK: 7am, iced green tea


AM SNACK: 7:45am, banana bread, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


BREAKFAST: 10:30am, wholewheat bagel with cream cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: 1:45pm, fruit smoothie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 3:45pm, momma style salad, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 4:45pm, 3 bagel-wrapped mini hot dogs

DINNER: 6:30pm, pasta with spinach and roasted garlic, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 8pm, chocolate chips & peanuts, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: