Wednesday, February 22

Early Summer in mid-February

Woke up to various children at 6:30am, good thing I put myself down at 10 or I'd have a problem f'sure. Pleasantly sore in the chest and shoulders, undoubtedly partially due to Edie crawling on my back as I did push ups.

This morning we hosted a playdate for classmates and friends who are also out of school because of the winter break. I served up the broc-cheddar knishes (quartered), juice boxes and a pitcher of lime rickey, as well as some grapes and the momma salad (composed a bit, not just a jumble.)It went well, it was a lot mellower than it could have been.

Being that I do not have to teach this week, when the sitter came, I got spandexed up and road out to Coney -- it was in the mid 50s and sunny, very odd for mid February. Felt a lot stronger than I thought I'd be for being off the bike so long, the weights must be helping.

Got home and started cooking, forgot to eat spinach salad! D'oh!


AM SNACK: 7am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 8:15am, 2 whole wheat waffles, banana, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACKING 10-12:30pm: baby carrots, a cookie, a broc cheddar knish, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 1pm, lentils over white rice, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
A parent contributed this lentil stew and white rice, not very child-accessible but when everyone had left and I found myself hungry and harried with cleaning, there it was -- that's why she brought it, not for the guests, but for the host, he he. I'm not gonna critique such a thoughtful house gift, but it did make me want to reimagine it....


BIKE SNACK: 3pm, granola bar, water

BIKE SNACK: 4pm, small bag of funions, 16oz of gatorade, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
I used to like Funions when I was 8 or 9 years old.  The crappy bodega I stopped at to refuel didn't have corn chips, and this was a small quarter bag, so why not. The first thing I noticed when crunching on the first one was the overwhelming taste of....MSG. Hah! I almost wish I never tasted straight, unadorned MSG, now it jumps out at me like the pink elephant you're not supposed to imagine.


DINNER: 6:15pm, whole wheat spaghetti with homemade sauce, roasted brussel sprouts, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5 
Surprising how normal the whole wheat pasta tastes. It looks brown and grainy uncooked, but looked relatively white cooked. Taste-wise, I didn't taste much difference, especially when coated with sauce, but the bite was slightly different. Despite cooking it a minute past al dente, it still had a slightly crumbly element to the bite. Not enough to make it not-good, but different. Gotta stock up.

This round of sauce also is pretty good, definitely elevated by the cup of wine thrown into the aromatics and reduced.



EVENING SNACK: 8:30pm, potato chips


EVENING SNACK: 9pm, a small handful of cookies


EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, more potato chips
Calorie deficit from the day's ride.

No comments: