Tuesday, February 21

Terr-ifibling

Edie is off from school this week due to the President's Day holiday. B had off from work yesterday, but today it was me vs. the Terr(ific?)(ible?)(ifying?) Two. Once B left, I set up the weights, put Mil in a bumbo in his crib, and let Edie free range. She immediately gravitated to imitating me, first doing some stretches. Then when I started doing push ups, she crawled on to my back. Instead of doing my usual 20, I squeaked out about 10 with 30 pounds squirming on my back. Surprisingly, got through my routine smoothly. Edie thought my weight lifting was some sort of dance party, and insisted on listening to "Gotta Get Up" by Nillson over and over again while I worked out -- it actually helped. Mil remained chill, my exercises entertained Edie.

Made a smoothie and shared it with Edles, Mil soon went to nap and I got some laundry put away while Edie watched TV, got granola made and in the oven, took care of dishes, put stuff away as Edie scattered them about. Made myself and Edie lunch. Things got a little tense as we waited for the sitter, but once Mil was covered and we got on the bike to the train museum to play with Edie's favorite friend, all was well.

Got to bed at 10, blown out. This week is gonna be not the easiest.

TODAY'S COOKING:
Granola: Another batch with the idea of making bars in mind. Made a bigger batch, 6 cups of oats, 3 cups of nuts including cashews, slivered almonds,  pepitas, and for the first time, raw sunflower seed kernels. 4oz of dried shredded unsweetened coconut by weight (came to almost 2 cups by volume, double the original recipe, ha) Half cup of maple syrup, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of olive oil, tablespoon of vanilla, heaping 1/2 teaspoons of cardamom and cinnamon, teaspoon of salt. Baked at 325 for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to promote even browning. 1/2 cup of chopped dried cherries mixed in once cooled.

AM SNACK: 8am, iced green tea


BREAKFAST: 9:30am, smoothie, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
I was busy bouncing Mil and feeding Edie a waffle to notice how long I let the smoothie blend for, perhaps 3 or 4 times longer than usual -- it actually cut down on the raspberry nit problem almost completely. Either that, or the raspberries floated to the top of the fruit bag and I'm working my way down it.


LUNCH: 11:30am, sardine & avocado on whole grain toast, health salad, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Edie running around, Mil strapped to me, somehow got lunch down...

PM SNACK: 12:30pm, handful of whole grain pretzels, liter of water

PM SNACK:
4pm, homemade granola bar, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
DINNER: 6pm, baby spinach with slivered almonds and carrot dressing, 2 slices of streetza, Jamaican beef patty, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Brought in dinner, as was too hungry and blown out from the day to cook. On a whim, got a beef patty from the pizza place, haven't had one in quite a while. I used to love these, and quickly discovered if I had more than one in a sitting I'd feel sick.  The crust is nice, flaky, savory. But the filling is weird, a loose smooth meat paste of indeterminate origin. It says beef, but really, it could be any meat that has been cooked for days and mixed with a very distinct spice combo. I had beef patties in Jamaica and the fillings are much more....distinct. I guess like pizza, this is a "NY style" beef patty.

EVENING SNACK:
8pm: raw almonds & chocolate chips, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: