Thursday, February 9

Granola bars to the rescue

Hung out with old friend J and Mil in the afternoon, walking around, kinda skipped lunch but I had some homemade granola bars with me to stay sane, and had a small lunch when we got home after picking up Edles from school.

Fried up a nice sausage from Whole Foods with dinner -- unlike a lot of different meats from a butcher case, one link is 1/3 lb, a good single portion with no worrying about using the meat over several days.

TODAY'S COOKING:
Granola: My friend brought me a gift of a huge 32oz jar of artisinal granola, but I went a made this anyway. The jarred stuff was fresh, organic and full of healthy stuff, but still too sweet for my palate and had walnuts in it, whose flavor just doesn't appeal to me.

Brown Rice Pilaf: Sauteed a cup of shortgrain brown rice in 4 tbsp of butter for a solid ten minutes. Added water, half cup of slivered almonds, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, onion & garlic powders. Came out pretty good, though the almonds had less impact then I thought they had -- next time I'll sautee them with the rice.

Iced Tea: Another 2 gallons, each gallon with 1/4 cup of white sugar.


AM SNACK: 8:30am, iced green tea
Last pint of the 2 gallon batch. Noticed it tasted a little funky, from being in the fridge too long. Hmmmm.


BREAKFAST: 9:45am, toasted pumpernickel bagel with scallion creamcheese, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
I was looking in the cupboard for a healthier breakfast -- had smoothie yesterday, oatmeal soon but not today -- and realized I had to change it up or risk getting bored. Makes me think perhaps I should make a load of my own bagels, a pumpernickel bagel with proper 100% whole grains, rye and wheat, and just freeze them. Won't be cheaper than buying them, but will be fun and healthier...

PM SNACK: 1pm, granola bar, seltzer, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 2:45pm, pickle


LUNCH: 3:30pm, whole grain chicken nuggets, health salad, water, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 6pm, momma salad, andouie pork sausage, brown rice pilaf, roasted acorn squash, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
I don't like acorn squash that much -- I suspect it has such a high water content that it makes the flesh a little bit too juicy, despite being roasted at high heat for more than an hour. Weirdly sweet, too, like a sweet potato (another thing I don't like.) Well, I ate it, despite remembering that I don't like it, hrumph.


EVENING SNACK: 8pm, whole wheat ritz & nutella, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Went hard. Lunch and dinner were both too small.


EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm, 3 small buttermilk pancakes, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: