Sunday, February 26

Sans Recipe

It just occurred to me if I can add a tablespoon to heavy cream and let it stand at room temp to make cream fraiche (a fancy french term for mild sour cream), why can't I save a load of money by inoculating milk with a buttermilk starter and make my own buttermilk? Next quart of $5.75 buttermilk I get, I'm going to freeze into cubes, and add a cube to room temp whole milk and let it sit for a day, should turn into perfectly fine buttermilk at around 1/4 to 1/2 the cost, AND be fresher. I'm assuming the live bacteria will go dormant in the freezer, and whatever dies will be minor...

TODAY'S COOKING
Pancakes: We had three couples with kids coming over, but for some reason I decided to experiment with the recipe anyway. I saw a little piece on TV about Clinton St. Baking, who are known for their pancakes. I've had them, and it's immediately clear what is up -- the density of the fat in the pancake is leavened with whipped egg whites, very French. The chef/owner pretty much cops to it, telling a story of how he worked in a fancy French place years ago, and the chef wanted to do an Americanized brunch service. It was up to him to make the pancakes, so he just took their crepe recipe and added flour.

So like last time, I added a pint of cream fraiche to the quart of buttermilk for the liquid, as well as 2oz of melted butter, 3 scrapings of vanilla beans and instead of 3 whole eggs, 5 egg yolks. Dry side was 24 o flour, 3 oz sugar, tbsp of baking powder and salt, 1/2 tsp of baking soda, shake of cinnamon. I beat the five egg whites to stiff peaks and folded it in, once the dry met the wet. (I let the eggs come to room temp over night -- warm egg whites hold air much better than cold whites.) The fluffy batter sat for about 30 minutes before I started cooking them off.

Pancakes came out surprisingly well, and despite making over 50 pieces, almost all of them went with lots of compliments. Upon reflection, this is now one of the few dishes I make that I can honestly say there was no way I could have made it successfully or easily sans-recipe without going to culinary school.

BREAKFAST: 8:30am, chocolate covered coffee beans, water
Forgot to refrigerate the cooling iced tea, so I skipped it. Hey, it's Tom Cruise Sunday!

BRUNCH: 11:30am, handful of pancakes, about 1 donut, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Guests brought the donuts, one jumped down my throat. Thanks, Tom Cruise!


PM SNACK: 5pm, large spinach salad with slivered almonds and carrot dressing, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 6:15pm,  whole grain chicken nuggets, brown rice mix, pint of grenadine soda, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
I was about to have broiled scallops, but the glass pirex pan exploded when it tapped the cool edge of the oven while I was removing it. I picked up some brown basmanti rice mixed with wild rice, rye berries and wheat berries, tasted nice.


EVENING SNACK: 8pm, corn chex with organic dead milk, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 10:15pm, graham crackers with a bit of nutella, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: