Thursday, March 1

Pump der nickel, bagel!

226.8-->228.2--->228.0

Not a significant change, easily attributed to my light eating the last few days due to the kidney stone. Still, I do feel stronger and my muscles a little more defined under my layer of blubber. 

A hard night, as Edie has some gastric distress waking her up all night long. I was a bit restless myself, got to bed 1amish and woke up every few hours to feed Milli Mil.

Finished the course of antibiotics last night, so today will be my first drug-free day since Monday. Lifted weights this morning, and despite a sore back, it did not effect the activity -- the soreness is kidney-related, not muscle related. On the attempted pull-ups, I moved maybe a couple of inches, which is a couple of inches more than I could when I started.

Could not fall asleep until 2:30ish, I think the lack of ibuprofin made my achy back stick out in my mind a bit more.

TODAY'S COOKING
Pumpernickel Bagel Dough: What should a pumpernickel bagel taste like? After reading 5 or 6 recipes running the gamut, I'm still not sure but guess that rye and molasses should be in there. Annoyed by the breakfast bagel, pulled out some ingredients then found a recipe that matched what I had on hand. I substituted equal parts whole rye flour and whole wheat flour for the three-flour mix they recommend, and added salt to the flours rather than the wet. Upon kneading in the machine, found it waaaaay too wet and added a cup of whole wheat flour. Still seemed wet but now it pulled away from the walls of the bowl, so I let it go for 15 minutes, knowing as the grains hydrated deeper, the dough would become wetter and looser -- something I've learned the hard way and killed a stand mixer or two while making bagels. Still too wet, added a cup of whole grain rye and let it go for another 10. (I wish this stupid recipe used liquid measures instead of dry.) Tossed in a tablespoon of caraway seeds during kneading -- it just smells like the pumpernickel bagels I remember as a kid, and I'd rather have them stud the bagel rather than coat the top.

The recipe calls for a quick 1 hour rise to double, but instead I stored the dough in the bowl with a loose damp towel on top in the fridge. Gonna let it go until tomorrow and see what happens. With pizza dough (another high-gluten, tough and chewy bread product), a slow cold rise allows the fermentation to really give a lot of flavor to the final product.) I guess I'll be baking these off tomorrow.

AM SNACK: 8:30am, iced green tea


BREAKFAST: 10:15am, pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese, water, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Really tasting the bagel, it's....not that great. It fills me up, but it's not pumpernickelly enough, and I assume they're not using whole grains in it.

PM SNACK: 12:45pm, granola bar, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: 2:30pm, falafel platter, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 6:45pm, baby carrots with carrot dressing, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 7:15pm, 2 broc-cheddar knishes, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 8:30pm, chocolate chips & almonds, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 2am, 6 whole grain chicken nuggets, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: