Friday, March 9

Feeling Chocolate Pudding

A day in constant motion. Woke up, got the laundry together, took Edie down to the laundry to get it in, took Edie to school, got home, ran out for some infant Tylenol for a slightly feverish Mil (due to the vaccines he received yesterday), got the laundry in the dryer, say goodbye to Betsy, lift weights, make smoothie, get laundry & put it away, go to Wholefoods for supplies, make chocolate pudding and whipped cream, out to Union Square for follow up about my kidney stones, home cooking labor intensive risotto, entertain a Sabbath dinner with friends, dance party with toddlers, clean up, watch a bad movie, sleep.

Urologist didn't give me any new info, asked if I drank pots of coffee a day. -sigh-. I have another scan and a follow up later in the month, hopefully it'll be more conclusive.

TODAY'S COOKING
Chocolate Pudding & Whipped Cream: Used this recipe, though ignored the technique, just wanted proportions. (I did double the sugar, it seemed too low and I was right -- this is still not a very sweet pudding) Tossed everything in a pot except the cold butter, turned heat up low, and whisked until it thickened. Turned off heat, put the pot in an ice bath while continued to whisk, and hit it with the butter to get a nice glossy sheen. Once it seemed reasonably cool, spooned into ramekins, covered with plastic and into the fridge. 3/4 of a pint of heavy cream into the stand mixer, about 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and scrapings of 2 vanilla beans. Whipped until stiff peaks.

Mil was at my feet distracting me, and I found that the pudding was not perfectly smooth - it had a few tiny little lumps in it. This was probably from getting the pudding too hot, too fast -- a feel thing. If I make it again, I'll probably get it right.


Filet of Sole, Roasted Brussels & Mushroom Risotto: Betsy wanted this meal again, so why not. Nice white fillets on a sheet pan with pats of butter and Old Bay, broiled for about 8 minutes. (The next morning, looking through my c-school recipes looking for french toast, found several recipes for fillet of sole, I regret not using them -- this simple broiling method is my mom's style, what I grew up with. I should of dredged in flour and spices, pan sauteed, finished with a little pan sauce or supremes of lemon!) Brussels halved and coated with olive oil, salt and pepper, roasted at 425 for 20 minutes until soft in the middle and charred outside. The risotto was the same as last week, except swapped out parm for asagio, went a little heavier on the sherry to compete with the cheese's funk.

AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 10am, smoothie

AM SNACK: 11:30am, spinach empanadas, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 3:45pm, Sicilian slice, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER:  6:45pm, filet of sole, mushroom risotto, brussels, 2 small pots of chocolate pudding and whipped cream, half glass of wine, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 9pm, small amount of sesame whole wheat pretzels

No comments: