Sunday, May 13

Bike Hangover

Up at 6 to a pushy baby, took care of him while making pancakes and cleaning up the kitchen -- it's mother's day, so that was the least I could do, allowing B an extra hour of sleep. I was contemplating breakfast in bed for her, but she was up before I was finished cooking off the pancakes -- oh well, next year I'll enlist Edie as my server-monkey and have HER deliver a breakfast in bed!

I don't drink much, and when I do it's usual a drink (singular), so I don't have much cause to complain about how my hangovers are getting worse as I get older. However, I blew myself out in the best way possible yesterday riding my bike to Poughkeepsie. I lost focus (the beginning stage of bonking) close to the end which got me lost and added an addition 7-8 miles. I woke up this morning with the equivalent of a cyclist's hangover -- ached all over, certain joints worse than others, hungry and dehydrated despite having plenty of food and water last night. The main difference is my head -- mind clear, feeling optimistic, body aching in a way that it'll be a little stronger when it recovers.

Hair of the dog: road up to the UES with Edie on the big bike to grandma's house to celebrate mother's day with family. Funny, made a big cheesecake for Mother's Day but it remains at rest in my mother-in-law's freezer, as we never went back to gorge on it. Oh when shall this cheesecake pop up in our lives again?

DJ came over at the last minute for dinner last night, he's visiting briefly from California, we ordered in and had a good time with Edles...

TODAY'S COOKING
Pancakes: Only had some milk, but a lot of other dairy on hand, so I filled it out with heavy cream and sour cream. The acids of the sour cream reacted with the baking soda and baking powder to make a very leavened pancake, almost a cross between pancake and biscuit -- though moist and tender, not dry and crumbly like a biscuit or scone.

AM SNACK: 6:45am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 8am, 3 pancakes, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 12:15pm, gyro on pita, fries, Greek salad, diet coke, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 1:15pm, ice cream cone, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 6:30pm, pad thai, fried tofu, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 8pm, pint of chocolate ice cream, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Funny, I got a brand that's made locally, but it was surprisingly not that great. It was better than a Ben & Jerries because it didn't have that cloying sweetness or artificial aftertaste produced by stabilizers, BUT it was a very weak flavor compared to what I make at home.

No comments: