Tuesday, May 15

Salty Soup to be served with....Saltines?!

Up a little after 5, B had to go to the doc (everything is fine, just a regular thing) and it hit me harder than I expected -- cancelled plans, stayed in doors and hung on to my focus -- got some cooking done, and watched after Milli, but I found myself paralyzed by a hazy feeling and feeling run down. Unsurprisingly, a cold sore chose to pop up on my lower lip. Lazily ordered in dinner, but it was nice to sit down with the fam, and I put myself in bed around 8:30.

Saw a reference to this article somewhere yesterday, a mathematical equation designed to answer how many calories need to be reduced to lose weight. In a nutshell, 100 cal less a day will result in 10 lbs lost in THREE YEARS. Assuming no cheating, a constant 100 cal less. There are a lot of buts (no pun! no pun!), as heavier people will have a harder/longer time reaching a new stasis than lighter people. It's interesting, and kinda says what some of us already know through osmosis -- if your fat, it's hard to lose it, and even harder to keep it off. Unlike all the products that promise perfect, fast results for a fee, this feels like the truth -- real results will be a LONG time in coming, with a LOT of struggle. I feel like I've shifted my diet to a certain extent in the last 5 months, but this tells me I shouldn't be discouraged by my total lack of weight loss -- it's a multi-year, cumulative thing.

TODAY'S COOKING
Mini cheesecakes: Sweets always hold the best, so this is the first thing I'm making for E's bridal shower, which I am hosting in house. Most of the cooking will happen Friday, and that-which-must-be-freshest on Saturday, as the gathering starts at 2pm. My first attempt, I burned all the graham crusts and had to start over -- a full size might take 10 minutes, but a mini needs no more than a minute. Adjusted all cooking times downwards on the fly, hopefully they'll turn out -- I won't know until I have them chilled. Also making a 6" cheesecake with the overage...

AM SNACK: 5:45am, iced green tea


BREAKFAST: 6:30am, pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


AM SNACK: 9:30am, spoonfuls of cheesecake batter

AM SNACK: 10:30am, cheese knish, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: 12:45pm, chicken soup with pastina and TVP, 7oz ginger ale, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Betsy brought home a quart of clear chicken soup, so I heated it with some tiny pasta shapes and a handful of dried textured vegetable protein. I put in some water, too, and it was STILL too salty. Damn, who would eat this with a saltine cracker?

DINNER: 6pm, shrimp & broc, pork fried rice, egg roll, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 8pm, almonds & chocolate chips, water, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: