Friday, June 22

Biking on calories

Woke up at 4:30 to ride my bike over the GWB, down Jersey to Staten Island and did a loop. Was a bit slow going due to highs in the 90s and thick humidity. I have a cyclometer that  calculates calories on order, but for now I used this website to come up with the figure for how many calories I expended.

Nutritionally, not a spectacular day -- where are the fruits and veg? But what I ate got me through. If I wasn't counting calories, I probably would have ate another 1000+ calorie meal where I have an evening snack, but was able to think about the hunger I was feeling and go smaller. So I guess that makes this effort good for something, no?

THE COUNT: 4,230
BIKE CREDIT: +/- 4,600


Does this mean I'm in deficit by 370 cal, or do I include the 2,500 I'm budgeted to live a normal day, making it a deficit of 2,870? That would result in almost a pound of fat in one day, which strains credibility. I'm sure the answer is complicated and somewhere in the middle.


BREAKFAST: 4:45am, iced green tea, homemade granola with whole milk, 850 cal


BIKE SNACK: 7:45am, 20oz Gatorade, 3oz fritos, 590 cal


BIKE SNACK: 10:45am, 20oz Gatorade, 2oz potato chips, 420 cal


BIKE SNACK: 12:15pm, Drakes apple pie, 470 cal
Was shocked how many calories in this rather small treat. Tasty, but so not worth the calories if I wasn't in desperate need of a kick to keep going.


PM SNACK: 3:15pm, handful of tortilla chips, fresh salsa, +/- 100 cal


LINNER: 4pm, roast beef sandwich on brioche, handful of fries, handful of cheesy spatzle, water, +/- 1000 cal
Out with B&E and friends at Prime Meats in Cobble Hill.


PM SNACK: 5pm, small cherry Italian ice, +/- 150 cal


PM SNACK: 6pm, 8 oz Nesquik chocolate milk, 170 cal
Got this free sample from a street fair. Chocolate milk is supposed to be a good recovery drink. Think I should just get some real chocolate syrup and make it with my whole milk on demand, as this stuff is weirdly industrial.


EVENING SNACK: 8:45pm, hotdog with mustard, another Nesquick, 480 cal

No comments: