Thursday, January 10

I have always thought, Cheese & Onions

ADDENDA:
Woke up and got on the bike up to 57th Street to meet Katya at a gallery for an performance installation. Basically you walk into a bare room with white walls with a bunch of people sitting around on the floor. When someone walks in, they chant in unison, "ooooooOOOMMM WELCOOOOOMMMME" then recite a few quotes and start conversing. It was all very collegiate, until they unnerved us by asking, "What do YOU think?" I felt like I was back in college in a sociology graduate class, caught once again not fully paying attention.

But I had brought a small sack o' donuts and had a nice walk into Central Park sharing them. Katya works freelance and has a flexible schedule.

BREAKFAST: 8:15am, bowl of organic cheerios with good milk, hunger 3/5

AM SNACK: 10:30am, 2 halves of 2 really good donuts, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 2pm, 2 glorious grilled superhippy cheese & onion sandwiches, 24 oz still water, hunger 4/5
I went to Brooklyn with Katya and we walked around a bit. After she split, I realized I was close to home and would be foolish to pass up the chance to cook, as I'm already obliged to eat Chinese tonight. Katya said she had packed a cheese sandwich for lunch, which inspired me.

So when I got home, I looked on line for a grilled cheese recipe, which made me feel silly in it's simplicity. But they say ya can throw on tomato, you can throw on bacon, you can throw on...ONIONS!!.....

I have always thought
In the back of my mind, Cheese and Onions
I have always thought
That the world was unkind, Cheese and Onions
Do I have to spell it out?
C-H-E-E-S-E-A-N-D-O-N-I-O-N-S-Oh no
My machine
Keep yourself clean
I'll be a has-been
Like a dinosaur
My device
For everything nice
You better think twice
At least once more


What a great song....anyway, I ended up using all greenmarket ingredients, superhippy bread and raw milk funky cheese (with caraway seeds in it), on a grill pan wedding gift with top-shelf grass-fed butter.

I've never been a fan of grilled cheese, my mom would make it with crappy crumbly white bread, American cheese and margarine. Restaurant versions are usually unpleasantly greasy and overly cheesy. My sandwiches, my lord, the dense bread took the butter and grill marks perfectly, the onions added a pleasant sweet note and the cheese (which I only had a little left) was more than enough with it's bold flavor.

Feel good but still finding my footing. Consulting with Ilsa tonight, she's my nutritionist but only source of any sort of therapy. I guess if I'm serious about culinary passions, it makes sense to consult my nutritionist for perspective!

DINNER: 8pm, roast pork & broc, beef in oyster sauce, shrimp with cashews, sauteed string beans, veg fried rice, water, a little tea, 1 fortune cookie, cup of almond ice cream, hunger 4/5
Went to a traditional Chinese restaurant with B and my cousin Iddo, Mandarin Court. The last time I ate there was with my parents and brother. Today was the 2nd anniversary of my mother's passing. Fortunately, with recent goings on in my professional life, I haven't dwelled on it too much.

Food was kinda crappy, but a fitting meal with lots of memories associated with it. I miss my parents.

No comments: