Tuesday, February 5

Thinking About Bacon

ADDENDA:
The other night when I was speaking to Caroline, the FCI graduate, she mentioned she made her own bacon. Last night when feeling snacky, I fried up 5 pieces of good lower-salt non-nitrite porky goodness, and it was so satisfying.

Make my own bacon - hmmmm. Caroline recommended a book on charcuterie, claims it changed her life. I rember while travelling through Colorado, Kansas and Missouri, every little bo-funk diner's bacon was different than the next. Different smoke flavors, different cuts, different thicknesses, some were more like ham or British bacon - every one delicious. Just as one could obsess about the characteristics of pizza in NYC, you could do the same thing out there for bacon. BBQ too, but that's a whole 'nuther thing.

I imagine books have been written about bacon, as looking back over the threads of my life, bacon runs an interesting line. Growin up Jewish in a non-religious household, we did not keep kosher but bacon and pork sausage was a very rare occurance. I remember mom experimenting with some trendy minced & formed bacon-like substance that was supposed to be healthier that was just nasty. Dad, who would hide pork sausage in the back of the freezer, would make us breakfast of pancakes and bacon when my mom wasn't around - I guess that's why I have such a strong emotional connection to my own pancakes n' bacon.

Today, I'm visiting the FCI for a tour after work, and auditing classes at the ICE tomorrow. I wonder if they teach you how to make bacon.

BREAKFAST: 7:45am, organic cornflakes with good milk, hunger 3/5

AM SNACK: 10am, 4oz of rootbeer, hunger 3/5
Needed a shot of sugar to focus on the task at hand.

LUNCH: 1:30, vegetable ravioli in butter and parm reg, water, hunger 4/5
Boiled up a bunch of frozen ravioli I bought from the market near the Food Network. Very spinachy, B would of loved them.

PM SNACKS: 2-3pm, 1 little crunchy chocolate square, 2 amuse bouches, a couple of crunchy tiny pastry sticks, hunger 3/5
As I was on the tour of the French Culinary Institute, the guide, the chefs and the students kept offering me food. I stuck to the small stuff, but I easily could of wolfed down a lot more. A small sampling of eating habits to come?

PM SNACK: 4pm, half a fresh baguette, hunger 3/5
They grind their own flour at the FCI and this baguette was definitely what I remember from when I wandered outside of Paris city center in search of a simple cheap breakfast back when I was a broke student...

DINNER: 8pm, burger and tater tots, hunger 4/5
Dinner in at my brother-in-law's house, from a limited diner menu. I always enjoy eating horrendously after meeting Ilsa!

No comments: