Thursday, April 10

Bicycle: Taste Enhancer

ADDENDA:
My last mountain bike ride late fall ended with an exploded rear derailleur. Today I subwayed it up to the Bronx, got to the trail head buried in Van Cordlandt Park around 10am, soon after caught a flat. Realizing I forgot my bike pass for Metro North Rail, didn't want to risk going up to Croton then having another mechanical breakdown and having to spring for a $100 cab ride. Ended up reading the newspaper in Inwood Hill Park and when I got up, the rear deflated again - needed to be taken apart, studied, and perhaps a new tire or tuning of the spokes. Wait a sec, this is a FOOD blog, not a bike blog, sorry....

The awesomely great mid-70s weather should of raised my mood, but between the pre-leaf nude trees and the suspect mechanics of my bike, just felt depressed. The last time I was chilling on a bike at Inwood Hill was a few summers ago, depressed about my parents passing. Weird how I ended up at the same bench, thoughts swirling about the future, the past. Was hungrier than I thought when I scarfed my two homemade power bars. Riding is a great taste-enhancer.

BREAKFAST: 8am, organic corn flakes with good milk, banana, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 11:30am, two homemade power bars, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Surprisingly yummy. The granola and nuts gave the bar a pleasant heft and dryness - the last round were a bit too moist to the point of sogginess.

LINNER (DUNCH!): 4pm, mixed gluten, mashed taro treasure boxes, mini sticky rice in lotus leaves, spring roll, mock shrimp in rice dough, water, 2.5 bowls, hunger 4/5
A late lunch at Vegetarian Dim Sum to cheer me up. Forgot how heavy this food is - 2 bowls felt like 5. Everything is very starchy, and greasy (in a good way) to boot. Still, unlike the typical Chinese take-away brick, doesn't leave me feeling like I just hit myself in the head and stomach with a hammer.

PM SNACK: 9:30pm, chocolate soy ice cream with 2 pieces shortbread, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5
Just felt like I needed to treat myself nicely. Funny how a sugary indulgence is synonymous with self-love.

No comments: