Friday, April 11

Poet's Walk

ADDENDA:
I've for a long time thought a lot of problems in this country could be solved if food wasn't so cheap. Now with the crap economy, we're on the verge of seeing food prices rise, I'm afraid more problems will be created world wide than solved locally, with food-riots in places where people already spend more than 50% of their incomes on getting fed. Yes, we'll eat out less, eat small portions and maybe not eat so wastefully, but must that be accompanied by people in other places starving? It makes me ill at ease, especially when I'm at the markets buying up the finest ingredients possible.

BREAKFAST: 9:30am, good yogurt with cashews, honey, and vanilla, 1 banana, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 1pm, lamb on pita, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
After spending a few hours wrapping up a project in the offices, grabbed a lamb pita from the good vendor, with the real lamb and hand-made condiments. Sat in Central Park at the Poet's Walk while eating it and making phone calls. I used to sit here with my father every time we came to the park together, sit and read, be quiet, usually between a movie, museum or opera and a meal.

Soon after my father died, I dreamed that I came to this spot and he was there, elderly but in good health and able to walk on his own. We sat, and he apologized for dying, and said he already missed me and mom horrendously, and he thanked me and my mom for being so good to him in his last few years, when yes, we could of dumped him in a home but every effort was (successfully) made to allow him to spend his last months living in his own home. He said to look after myself and my mother, and then we hugged. As I squeezed him, I closed my eyes and -poof- out of my arms he dissipated like smoke. I woke up from that dream feeling a bit more settled about it, and I was happy I got to see him again. I've had a few dreams over the years where I've spoken with my parents, all conscious that they are dead.

I pedalled over to the Whitney to check out the Biennial, but the line was wrapped around the block. I was looking forward to checking out the Edward Hoppers, as he was my father's favorite painter and we would sit and stare at them together every time we were there.

PM SNACK: 2:15pm, shrimp summer roll, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Picked up ingredients for a dinner with B at WF, got this to hold me over till then.

PM SNACK: 5pm, shortbread, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Cooking up a storm, got hungry. Better to have sweets now than before bed.

DINNER: 7pm, spinach salad, a couple of raviolis, lasagna, half glass of white wine, water, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
I made cheese & vegetable ravioli from scratch, which Betsy had, while I had the Dinnerfest meaty lasagna. The ravioli was good - fresh egg dough, the filling made up of ricotta, fresh moz, parm, spinach, sauteed & diced portabellos, chives, shallots, sun dried tomatoes, nutmeg, eggs, salt and pepper. I lightly sauteed the raviolis in olive oil, elephant garlic, more chives, white wine and lemon juice, came out really interesting (in a good way). Made enough raviolis to cover a couple of counter tops, drying a little before I bag them for the freezer. B tucked into chocolate soy ice cream, but I resisted...

PM SNACK: 9pm, veggie booty, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 11pm, chocolate soy ice cream, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Serious sugar cravings, made me very cranky. I gave in.

No comments: