Tuesday, April 8

First Superhippy Bread, Now GRANOLA!!

ADDENDA:
The short bread has the illusion of being low sugar (1 cup butter, 2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup powdered sugar) but I had the worst insomnia last night, up till 2:30am. I suspect it was the late short bread.... had a carb-heavy lunch, aim for a high-protein dinner, try to have a sweets-free day....

The evening today brought a serious round of sugar-craving.

BREAKFAST: 10am, apple granola with good milk, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Found this new brand of granola during my trip to WholeFoods yesterday, looked like it may be developed for adult tastes, rather than the cloyingly sweet and industrial tasting stuff I've had in the past. Pretty good, tasted pleasantly oaty, and just subtly sweet. I guess I should go out and get some Birkenstocks?

LUNCH: 1pm, 3 samosas, brown rice, cold pumpkin noodles, cucumber salad, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
Midtown lunch at Green Symphony with the HVS.

PM SNACK: 6pm, spinach salad with organic Italian dressing, 1 bowl

DINNER: pork chops in mushroom gravy with roasted broccoli, water, 2.5 bowls, hunger 4/5
Started marinating a pork chop yesterday that I split the long way (olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper), browned the hell out of it, then made a simple gravy in the pan by boiling up some sherry, vegetable broth, more garlic and a large pinch of flour for about 10 minutes. Used the Good Eats recipe for the broccoli. Didn't really pay much attention to amounts, just kind of threw stuff together. The gravy needs work, it was a little too thin in texture and flavor, and I should of sauteed the mushrooms and garlic before deglazing with sherry, but it was still a nice compliment to the juicy meat with a crisp brown layer.

While I was cooking, NPR radio had a story about the crap economy and how health tends to improve in bad times because people work less, do more exercise and cook at home more versus going out to restaurants. This pork chop meal wasn't quite restaurant quality, but it was definitely a step in the right direction - and the cost of the food was less than $10....

EVENING SNACK: 11pm, veggie booty, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Sugar cravings kind of blurring with hunger, so grabbed a non-sweet snack...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Noah,
Granola/cereal is the WORST thing you can eat in the morning, I've discovered through my glucose monitoring. It shoots my blood sugars right through the ceiling. Some breakfasts that are good and filling that I really like are:
low-fat plain yogurt with roasted unsalted almonds and blueberries (I just use frozen ones), toasted multi-grain bread with peanut butter, or a fried egg and cheese on multi-grain bread. All of these are delicious and filling and do not spike your blood sugar. They also keep you full longer. Then eat some more yogurt or cottage cheese as a mid-morning snack. Avoid bread at lunch, and treat yourself with frozen yogurt in the afternoon. This is what works for me anyway....I find smaller, more frequent meals really do help. And don't bother with anything sweetened with Splenda--the sugar alcohols it creates are worse than regular sugar, Sugar.

xx
reeve