Tuesday, April 15

Unintentionally Mostly Vegan

ADDENDA:
Took a nice quick bikeride out to Coney today. I filled my bottle up at a water fountain on the boardwalk, tasted like rust - shame, as it'll turn some kid off from public water fountains forever. The water fountain in Prospect Park tasted A-OK, though.

BREAKFAST: 9:15am, good yogurt with honey, vanilla, raw cashews, apple, 1 bowl, hunger 3/5

PM SNACK: 12:30pm, homemade power bar, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

AFTERNOON WATERING: 11-2pm, 24 oz Gatorade/water mixture, 12 oz water

LUNCH: 3:45pm, butt crazy rice with grilled tofu, stir fried broccoli & mushroom, chocolate soy ice cream, 2.5 bowls, hunger 4/5
I took a picture of this meal, the tofu looked pleasingly charred. However, it tasted unforgivably bland and boring, so I really don't want to trumpet it. The butt-crazy rice I did the other day was with 1 cup of dry rice - this time I tripled the amount, but only doubled the mix-ins, like the porcini, the onion, the chives. Undersalted and the olive oil just didn't deliver the same mouth feel as the butter.

I pressed the tofu between towels to remove moisture and brushed them with oil, but as I grilled it on a non-stick pan, when it came to flip them the browned parts still stuck to the pan! Urrrrg! Well, a few didn't.

I was in a local grocery yesterday to buy broccoli, but it all looked brown and disgusting. So I bought a bag of frozen broc. I microwaved it out of it's frozen state and it came out surprisingly mushy and dull. Stir-frying it briefly almost brought it back to life, but I think fresh is still the way to go.

DINNER: 7:30pm, kimchi, mungbean and leek pancakes, pumpkin noodles, 2 vegetable dumplings, grilled todok and asparagus, mixed grain rice, tofu bibimbop, tofu steak, tofu pudding, tofu icecream, tofu cheesecake, kimchi, water, 2 bowls, hunger 4/5
Out with B and a friend at Hangawi, the most expensive vegan restaurant in NYC. The tofu steak was just deep-fried triangles of tofu with a thick bbq sauce, the tofu ice cream was waaaay too much like tofutti. Really dug the interesting fibrousness of the todok.

No comments: