Tuesday, January 6

Bad Fish & Poop

I swung by the market to pick up ingredients for lunch. I got a little broccoli, thought maybe rice with steamed broc. I saw some very large jumbo tiger shrimp in the fish section, I couldn't resist.. I was thinking how crappy store-bought stock was, then it occurred to me I could make a quick stock from the shrimp shells, so I got an onion and a couple of carrots, too.

At home, I deshelled the shrimp and noticed....a slight off odor. I get moving, and made the stock. Set up the rice cooker with a little crumbled dried mushrooms, salt, brown rice. After 20 minutes, the off-odor of the shrimp blossomed by boiling their shells....a cross between bad fish and poop. Fail! So I through it all out. After a handful of mini muffins, I found I wasn't very hungry anyway.

Spent the afternoon and evening at the restaurant, covering for the fellow who never showed up for his shift and never called again. Once again, this was my last day until someone else mucks it up. If the next person mucks it up, I have an agreement from Chef R to try me out -- she was very nice about it, wanting someone with years experience, not months like me. Good vibe, helping out at the last minute has cemented a bridge that I may need to trod over again sooner or later.

Well, tomorrow I start the culinary management program. Experience is lying out in front of me. I brought home about 25 slices and a bag of focaccia for French toast to get me through until they call again!

AM SNACK: 9am, swig of apple cider

PM SNACK: 12:30pm, a handful of apple mini muffins, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 4pm, pizza slice, chocolate cake, root beer, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACKING 6-10pm, a couple of small wedges of margarita pie, cheese cake, ginger ale, bits from the topping station, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING WATERING: 11:45pm, quart of water

No comments: