Thursday, January 8

Momma in my salad


Didn't get enough sleep again last night. Put myself to bed around 10, but got restless and went to watch TV till 12:30. Felt crappy and sluggish when I woke up, unsurprisingly, with pictures of burgers and Chinese food working through my system. The little Ilsa in my ear started shouting, "Keep it simple! Veg! Fruit! Don't overcomplicate it!"

I had pre-opera dinner planned already tonight, so an apple spoke up when I wandered into the kitchen. It was that or a really ripe banana, but Ilsa said an apple a day keeps the nutritionist at bay, so down it went. Unfortunately, it was a bit mushy, and getting half of it down was a challenge.

Of course, at break time during class, I was hungry. Funny how speaking of food related matters for 2 hours will stimulate the appetite. There is my old class room on the same floor, but by 10am they're cooking, not eating. In front of the building is a coffee cart, so I got a piece of cake. I must think of a plan. Maybe bake stuff to bring in for the other students?

On the way home, thought that I ought to eat salad for lunch. But the idea of green lettuces and dressing really didn't appeal to me -- that stuff works for me when it's warm out, but just not interested right now. Maybe a big ramen soup? That's really just a big bowl of pasta.

So, thinking about salad, I soon recalled the two kinds of salads from my youth. There was the Dad Salad and the Momma Salad. My dad's salad: Iceberg lettuce, shredded red cabbage, cubed carrot, cuce, green pepper, scallion, celery, radishes, and red onion. All vegetables were was finely chopped and/or diced. My mom's, however, was not; she thought that effort was ridiculous and fussy, and that the flavors got too mixed up. She would take cuce, carrot, green pepper, and maybe onion if she was feeling crazy and chop it all into large mouth-sized chunks. A sprinkling of salt was all the dressing it needed. Maybe a side of hummus to dip in.

So I made Momma Salad for lunch, pleasingly simple to make. I kicked it up a notch by squirting a half a lemon on top in addition to the salt, which was still in the spirit of keeping it simple. I baked up a slice of pizza from the resto, but it was more salad than pizza, kind of like a side dish.

BREAKFAST: 6:45am, half an apple, .25 bowl, hunger 2/5
A little bit mealy, unappealing.

AM SNACK: 10am, big slice of poundcake, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 2pm, momma-style salad, 1 slice of restaurant pizza

PM SNACK: 4:15pm, 4 chocolate truffles, .33 bowl, hunger 4/5
Christmas gift food lying around, evil.

DINNER: 6:30pm, raw fish crudo, fresh taglitelle in meat ragu, tiny chocolate mouse cake, 1 beer, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Pre-theater dinner at a midtown Italian joint, pretty good. Italian-style sushi is always good, wonder why someone doesn't try to do a whole restaurant on this theme.

No comments: