Monday, September 14

Screaming Parsley

I was supposed to have a kosher pizza adventure today, but L postponed until tomorrow at the last minute. So unexpectedly I had the day, Edie covered by mommainlaw, and a body recovering from the 100 mile ride the day before. So I took myself to the movies and lunch, though it felt kinda....I felt like I should be working on something, not just relaxing. A focused trawl through Wholefoods made me feel a little bit better.

BREAKFAST: 9am, good yogurt with honey and almond extract, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Really running out of food, must do a food shop soon. Wasn't in the mood for yogurt, but it was either that or hotdogs! To change it up, I swapped out vanilla with almond, which I will...never do again. Blechch!

AM SNACK: 11:45am, slice of streetza, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH:
3:15pm, spinach salad with carrot dressing, hijiki tofu patty, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5 Lunch at Dojo.

DINNER: 6pm, sea scallops, risotto, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Made dinner for B & yomomma. I got these huge sea scallops from wholefoods, they were advertised as "wild", but what I didn't know until I cooked them is that they were treated with a saline solution which does two things -- preserves their color and freshness, and makes them absorb a huge amount of water. So when I cooked them, it a) took longer to cook, b) they shrunk and released a lot of water into the pan, preventing browning and c) ended up just not very good. And I paid $19.99 a pound for a lot of water.

The risotto, on the other hand, was off da hook. I used my simple c-school recipe to make an unadorned risotto, something I was craving after trying the HVS's subpar rice pudding. Used up the last of my chicken stock, last of my sherry, finished wth a lot of freshly grated parm, a container of marscapone and a half stick of butter. When I finished it with minced parsley, the parsley just SCREAMED flavor, enhanced by the fat, the salt, the underlying shallot and garlic and reduced wine. Wow. A little bit rich, though.

Even though quantity-wise this meal was maybe .75 bowl, I suspect calorically it was closer to 1.25. I haven't thought that way in terms of bowls before, but it seems more honest. Which begs the question, how many calories in a "bowl"? A bowl of water is different than a bowl of ice cream. Oh well, the silliness of a blog...

No comments: