Wednesday, September 16

Somebody save my soul

In the evening, B, E and I went to a meeting of our coop's gardening club to get keys to the gate of the plots that we'll be planting on -- a small step to recover from today's soul-destroying lunch. What does one plant in late September?

BREAKFAST: 8am, toasted bagel with homemade hummus, gatorade, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
My homemade hummus is horrible. Tastes like slightly gritty earthy chickpeas, and that's it. I went too skimpy on everything -- tahini, lemon, salt, oil. I guess I'm not ready to do this without a recipe just yet. My dad could rock out gallons of this stuff without a recipe, but he had his ratios down. Then again, was his hummus as good as I remember it?

PM SNACK: 12:30pm, roasted venison shank with marrow on croutes, bottle of Manhattan Special, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
At the resto, sampling an appetizer special. Good, especially the marrow, though the cut is a little bit tough for that cooking method. The Manhattan Special made me want to drink 4 more bottles of it.

LUNCH: 2:45pm, 2 cheeseburgers, fries, sprite, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
I did not intend to go to McDonalds. After the restaurant, walked around DUMBO with Edles, popped in La Bagel Delite but didn't see anything appetizing. I took the F train one stop over to East Broadway, intending to get a snack from my squid n' rice noodle vendor, but she was absent today. Shopped at the supermarket, picked up a donut to cover myself until I got home but one bite and....urg, stale and through it out. Now ravenous. all the restaurants were dirty looking Hispanic diners and dirty looking Chinese worker spots. Carrying groceries, Edie in a sling around my neck, I just wanted....easy, fast, no hassle, clean.

The counter person was spacing and looking at her colleague playing on her cell phone, but the food still cam within 15 seconds of ordering. The burgers were room temp and unburger-like. Fries were good, though this 'medium' was the extra-large size of my youth. I should of just ordered one hockey-puck burger and a children's fries, and skipped the corn-syrup solution. Edie will NEVER eat this shitty food, the only reason it clicks with me is because I was introduced to it by my parents. Well, she may eat it on her own to experiment, but it won't be associated with my company and love.

While eating this, my first thought was, "Ugh, this isn't that good but I'm hungry" and the second thought was, "Ugh, I'm going to have to confess this in writing tonight."

DINNER: 6:30pm, homemade pizza, a little Gatorade, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
I made up for the damage to my soul at lunch by producing the best pizza I've made in a long time at home. Wholefoods wheat dough, left over homemade pizza sauce out of the freezer, a ball of buffala moz, generous freshly grated parm, good olive oil in a squeezy bottle, a pinch of sea salt. Let the dough defrost in the fridge this morning, and stretched it halfway an hour before finish stretching right before topping. Only used the stone on the bottom of the oven for more intense heat, let bake for 6 minutes. Luckily I got to that place where the crust is dark golden brown with dark brown splotches -- another 30 seconds and it would of gone bitter. I put the cheese down first, and everything was wet BUT minimal, so it became a really nice thin layer that all melded together into, urm, pizzaness.

I think the only fault I would have with it was that the dough wasn't home made (and because of the wholewheat element, added a whole-grainy taste to the affair) and my stretching was a little uneven, leading to a few thin and a few thick spots.

No comments: