Sunday, October 18

Feeling fruity


In this evening's Simpsons, the entire town except the family turns into zombies because of burgers made from cows who were on all-cow diets. Bart is in his bedroom, windows boarded up, complaining, "I'm so hungry, there is nothing to eat", then says, "except that", and the camera pans to his side table, with a bowl of ripe, sparkly fruit.

Starting tomorrow and ending Saturday, I will attempt to eat at least a part of three fruits a day. I've been relatively fruit-o-phobic my entire life, and have only upped my fruit consumption as an adult by processing it into things like smoothies and pies. Apples and bananas are about it, things like grapes have always turned my off by their....squishiness. Oranges too....pulpy. Peaches too....hairy. This week I will attempt to eat around the produce aisle.

Rented a car and went up into Peekskill to visit my parent's grave site, the fist time with Edie on the outside of B's belly, and strapped to mine. Despite the rain, we gathered with my brother's family (5 kids and counting) and popped over the the general store at Tompkin's Corners. They have a small back room the 10 of us piled into, and then....all the lights went out. Outages in upstate during bad weather is not all uncommon, and the proprietor had electric lanterns to light the dark room. Quite romantic, eating processed turkey with 6 children and a couple of orthodox Jews in a darkened room...

BREAKFAST: 8:15am, toasted onion bagel with cram cheese and sable, rootbeer, 1.26 bowl, hunger 4/5
I was give a bottle of good IBC rootbeer earlier this week, but had to put it aside due to sugar fasting. I can understand while sweet things (donuts, muffins) are such popular breakfast items -- it really gives a lift to waking up.

LUNCH: 1pm, turkey & swiss on a roll, potato chips, diet coke, chocolate chip cookies, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
At the general store in Peekskill where I used to buy candy from as a child.

PM SNACK: 5pm, slice of streetza, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Riding my bike home from the car rental, I went down Bleeker, past many, many pizza places -- John's, Keste, Monster. Went to the Pizza Box, an old school joint that's been there forever and enjoyed a standard street slice.

DINNER: 7:45pm, potato leek soup with sauteed shrimp, a few pseudo-healthy Betsy cookies, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: