Monday, October 19

Fruity Week, Day 1


Day one of the 3-fruit-a-day challenge was easy: banana, tomato, avocado. It had to be, as that was what I had on hand. However, on the way home from a day out, I stopped by the market and picked up a whole mess of fruit. Some vaguely familiar, some make me wonder how to even cut into them. From most comfortable to most cringe worthy:

Pineapple
Pear
Mango
Orange
Grapefruit
Kiwi
Three kinds of grapes
blueberries
blackberries
raspberries
Peach
Papaya
Pomegranate

I skipped on strawberries and plums because the thought of putting them in my mouth made me gag. I'm going to attempt a minimum of three bites of each fruit unprocessed, and a minimum of a 1/2 cup serving processed into a smoothie. Peach is making me feel a little queasy, now that I think about it. This is gonna be a challenge, he he he.

BREAKFAST: 8am, banana, last piece of pound cake, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Banana was good n' familiar. Noticed how as I chewed it, it's slime factor increased, not in a bad way, just in a....familiar but strange way. It's why it's such a good base for a smoothie, I guess.

Too bad pound cakes don't grow on trees, or this challenge would have been a lot easier.

LUNCH: 1pm, croque monsieur, small amount of potato chips, diet coke, pink peppercorn bread pudding, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Out at a little cafe in Astoria with Edie and friends. The sandwich was good, the crisp toasted bread being the star of the show, the thin slice of ham barely there, just giving a nice porcine note. Didn't particularly want the coke, but it came with the meal, that or the corn syrup version. The bread pudding, something I usually don't eat, was actually really interesting, sweet and peppery. Are peppercorns considered a fruit?

DINNER: 6:30pm, large green salad with plum tomato and avocado, small piece of pork loin sauteed in chicken fat and potato leek soup, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
So thanks to Buttery Peanut, I got 2 more easy fruits in today, tomato and avocado diced and mixed into my salad. Tomato is known to me, but I've never used avocado in this way -- I had it on hand because B loves it in her salad. It lent a creaminess to the more crunchy, fibrous surroundings which was pretty nice. I may do this again in the future, voluntarily!

No comments: