Friday, October 23

Fruity Week, Day 5


Got through chores in the morning with Edie at my side. One chore was to get back on the fruit challenge. As I stood by the counter gritting, I said to Edie, looking up at me in the carriage peacefully, "I do this so you don't make the same mistakes I did!"

I originally got three kinds of grapes, but the red grapes seem to have disappeared into the endless maw know as my mawful wife. So I got seedless white and seedless black out, as well as kiwi. I've used both in smoothies before, but never actually ate any of them whole and unprocessed.

Grape. It's been my favorite soda flavor from birth. Grape jam is no stranger. Grape juice, and it's sophisticated fermented cousin is a friend. So why haven't I eaten grapes my entire life? Fear of the pulp, fear of the squish factor, fear of papery skin. So when I popped in the first white grape and chewed, it was a bit of relief/surprise. Sweet! Juicy! Smooth tender pulp! Like grape juice coming out of a rehydrated, tender raisin (in c-school, rehydrating raisins in wine was a kick). I....LIKE this! I could not detect any flavor difference in the white or black grapes. I think we have the first winner of Fruit Week. I still have to eat more, but I think this may become a regular item on my to-eat list. Matched with cheese like an apple, yummmm....

Kiwi didn't go so well. I used it in smoothies before for it's slimey consistency and tartness. And eaten straight, yes.....tart and slimy, only broken up by the gritty little seeds studding the flesh. This, I think, was not meant to be eaten straight, but as a counterpoint in a salad or smoothie. One piece was all I needed to learn what it was about. Kiwi, you don't fool me!

AM SNACK: 9:45am, 3 white grapes, 3 black grapes, 1 piece of kiwi

BREAKFAST:
11am, bite of "chocolate chip cookie", street pound cake, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
In the farmer's market I realized I hadn't eaten a real breakfast and was kind of hungry. One stand had a lot of baked goods and I picked up a three-pack of some attractive chocolate chip cookies. Walking out, I took a bite and....BLECHCHCH! WTF? There was a little piece of paper in the bag listing ingredients: flour, smart balance, sugar...wait, what? F@cking smart balance? Hydrogenated vegetable oil with added chemicals to make in "healthy"? And the last ingredient was "vanilla pudding" -- what, kozy shack chemi-pudding? This tasted like a cheap industrial product, a batrayal of the trust I have with the farmer's market.

So at the corner of Union Square, I got a piece of poundcake from a cart. I just made pound cake last week, so this was an interesting contrast. Lighter, hints of vanilla instead of lemon and....no butter, definitely soybean oil or something equally cheap and neutral. This is same lame industrial cooking as the farmer's market cooking, but more honest and cheaper.

LUNCH: 1:45pm, homemade potato leek soup, homemade baked ziti, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Momma-in-law came over and we ate together, before I took off to do some Edie-free food shopping. It's nice to be able to lean over and tie my shoelaces in the middle of the market without twisting Lil' E into a secure pretzel.

SNICKLEDINNER: 7pm, small green salad, sauteed spinach & broccoli over sofrito morel brown rice, vegan mint chip ice cream, 2 glasses wine, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
It's nice when you cook a meal with out a recipe, kinda decide how you want it to come out midway through, and it comes out just as you wanted. I had a half gallon of morel mushroom stock sitting in my freezer for ever, waiting for a vegetarian meal to prop up. I made a wallop of sofrito (slow cooked onion, bell pepper, garlic, cilantro) and put that in the rice cooker with the stock and short grain brown sushi rice. After cooking for over an hour, a shake of salt and it was singing.

T wasn't going to be over for another hour or so, so I large-sliced a couple of onions and caramelized them over low heat. Added sliced shitake, garlic, sake, a bag of spinach, and small-cut florets of broccoli, which I blanched and shocked earlier. Finished with sesame oil and chicken fat (KIDDING!) and sesame seeds, seasoned with salt, and damn if it didn't taste pretty good. The sweetness of the onions really played well with the greenery. Sweet balances bitter.

The starch in the rice really exploded, making the rice more risotto-like, which was perfect for the strength of the morel stock. The stock lent a low, broad base, kinda like when you're watching Star Trek Next Gen and the low hum of engines are always in the background. Anyway, I digress. T brought some ice cream, that was soft and ready to go outta the tub, a perfect way to end a meal.

No comments: