Wednesday, October 21

Fruity Week, Day 3


So while Edie continued to sleep, I mad myself a plate of fruit this morning -- orange, pear and peach. The first thing I noticed while peeling the orange was being transported back to hanging out in my parents' living room with my dad. He would snack on oranges all the time, all over the place, but the main place was on his Eames lounge chair listening to classical or klezmer, and reading a novel, while eating a fragrant orange that he bought in quantity in Chinatown for cheap. Just peeling it released a big orange smell that said Papa.

First down was the pear, the least scary as it looks like a deformed apple. The flesh is firm. This Bartlett pear wasn't very sweet, and wasn't very juicy. Hints of vanilla. A little bit mealy. Overall unpleasant, but very edible and not very challenging.

Next up was the orange. The first thing I noticed about it was that it looked like a big knot of pulp -- which it is, I guess. Not appealing. I put it in my mouth and started chewing, and the gush of juice coated my mouth, very pleasant -- almost made up for the chewy pulp it left behind. Soft, pliable, easy to swallow. Surprised how more complex it is than juice -- there is the sweetness, but another big note of bitterness, which allowed the 'orangeness' to blossom in the middle.

Last was the peach. I remember being scolded by my mom many times, why don't you just try this peach? It's so juicy and sweet! This was easily the hardest. Looking at the flesh, it looks like nothing I like to eat. A weird redness where the pit was. Skin is vaguely fuzzy. Flesh has a sheen. I popped one piece in my mouth. First thing I noticed was the consistency -- skin was a little tough and papery, the flesh was a bit slimy and gelatinous. Flavor, a tone of peachiness, mostly sweet. I chewed it fully and swallowed, followed by an exclamation of "yuck!" to Edie. I put another slice in my mouth and it popped back out, I just couldn't get myself to close my mouth. I took it to the sink to cut it into smaller pieces. Popped a smaller piece in my mouth and again it popped out! Damn, this is like trying to feed a baby, except I'm the baby!

Conclusion, pears are neither here nor there. Oranges, I think with more experience I could learn to like them. Peaches, I just don't like, and now I can say I've really tried one and I KNOW I don't like them.

AM SNACK: 9am, orange, pear, peach, .15 bowl, hunger 3/5

BREAKFAST: 10am, pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 12:45pm, baked ziti, mint ice cream, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACKING: boiled shrimp, a few spoonfuls of various mayonnaise, a few tastes of vegetable soup, coca cola, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
The vegetable soup we made in school was really big-tasting, and completely vegan -- I brought home a pint for HVS this Friday...

DINNER: 8pm, Stouffers French bread pizza, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Ahhh, the opposite of peaches!

No comments: