Monday, October 26

Fruit Exploration continues


AM SNACK: 9:15am, a little pineapple, mango and grapefruit
The pineapple was quite good. It's fabrication was one of the first things I learned in c-school, and I actually used to like it as a kid....in fruit cocktail. With grapes and pear in it, if I remember correctly. I stopped eating it by puberty time, as even then it seemed just too sweet, with the syrup it was packed in. I don't know why I stopped eating those fruits all-together, other than a prejudice against things that weren't processed -- if it's not packaged prettily, marketed on TV and needs syrup to be good, it must not be worth my time.

Firm, very sweet, juicy in the right way. I thought the angular pulpiness would be a turn off, but it actually gave it interest. Pineapple and grapes are now OK in my book. Just gotta get a better pear and I can recreate a proper fruit cocktail!

The mango was also something we learned to fabricate early on, and I need to review my notes because I had a hell of a time getting it apart, and even then it wasn't pretty. Since c-school, I've been using fresh and frozen mango in my smoothies, but yes, never actually tasted it alone. Easy to eat, a firm flesh without a lot of pulp. Not as sweet as the pineapple, but a nice balance of sweet and bitter. This mango wasn't very flavorful, but I suspect it's out of season.

The first first response after putting the first piece of grapefruit in my mouth then quickly spitting it out was saying out loud, "Are you serious?", as if the HVS was watching down on my from above. Woodsy sourness, more pulp than juice, tart in the wrong way -- like an orange gone bad. I put a second piece in my mouth, chewed and swallowed and it only confirmed my first response. That diet soda, flavored with grapefruit, has a bit of a following, but that is supersweet and artificial tasting, and this just tasted very natural and very gross.

BREAKFAST: 9:45am, pumpernickel bagel with hummus & sable, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Out of creamcheese, had to go even more Jewwy on it!

AM SNACK: 12:30pm, a small portion of brown rice morel risotto with sauteed greens
I thought this was going to be lunch, as I assumed if the bowl was still in the fridge, there would be enough for at least a small meal. Alas, there was only a tasting portion left, about an ounce and a half, maybe three bites. B has a habit of leaving near-empty containers in the fridge....

But what really is of concern is that B asked me if there was any left, as this tasting portion was to be her "dinner". Tiny toy portions might make a person feel virtuous, but it'll just make ya gorge on ice cream later.

LUNCH: 1pm, 2 slices streetza, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, chocolate babka, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 7pm, curry potato and rice, fried gluten, a lotus leaf wrap, a spinach dumpling, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Ordered in from Tien Garden.

No comments: