Saturday, October 31

Slice o' Edie


Fell asleep around 9:30am, so waking up at 5 was no big deal. Got hungry, but didn't food shop this week, so went around the corner to the local diner I used to go a lot to with my parents on weekends. The food quality is pretty poor, but standard in a very American way. I pretty much stopped eating there when I went to c-school -- I found I couldn't stand the dish I got there regularly. After learning to make the most delicious pancakes ever, having their gummy, chemical pancakes from a mix just didn't cut it. Still, it was nice to slip on some flip-flops, slip out of the house while B and Edie slumbered in each other's arms, and walk slowly through a drizzly, over caste sky to go commune with memories of my parents.

Last night, I had the privilege of feeding Edie. We mixed a couple of tablespoons of Gerber "Rice Cereal" with some breast milk to make a smooth creamy gruel. The stuff is basically commodity white rice milled into flour, then spiked with a cabinet's worth of vitamins, minerals and stuff. We placed Edles into a highchair, and fed her with a long-handled metal baby spoon. I placed the bowl of the spoon, full of gruel, into her mouth and tilted up. Edie immediately started gumming wildly, and I felt the pressure of her tongue against the spoon. I removed the spoon and she continued to jaw wildly, food going in all directions -- down her throat, coating her mouth, around her lips, down her chin and pooling on the wash clothe tucked into her collar.


Pretty much the moment I take the spoon away, Edie starts WAILING! Did she not like the food? Is she uncomfortable? Is something wrong? The next spoonful comes to he mouth, and she stops wailing and greedily, anxiously, joyously eats the next spoonful with gusto. She couldn't wait for the next spoonful, and with a full mouth loudly let us know. Essence of cuteness. She is learning to feed.

BREAKFAST: 7am, BLT on rye, homefries, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH 1: 11:30am, falafel, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
At Maoz.

PM SNACK: noon, popcorn, one piece of shortbread, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH 2:
2:30pm, salad, 2 slices of pizza, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 6:30pm, samosa with chickpeas, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

EVENING SNACK: 8pm, leek dumplings, .75 bowl, hungert 4/5


Bonus picture: PIZZA VS. HOTDOG!

No comments: