Monday, November 9

Evil Snack

B went out with friends this evening, so Edie's welfare was really on me today. After having a go at a few bottles of milk and formula, I decided to feed her some rice cereal around 4pm. Extra thick I prepared it, to see if a) she liked it that way, b) if it would cut down on the mess, c) if it would make any difference with her level of satiation. Definitely positives on A and B, C harder to tell. She definitely enjoyed the paste-like rice cereal, panting excitedly between little baby spoonfuls. Ridiculous!

I spent the day knocking out laundry, food shopping and cooking. Bleah pancakes in the morning, and 3 large pots of double-strength chicken stock all afternoon. This is a key ingredient in making the Israeli cous cous grain salad for a baby shower this weekend, as well as proper stuffing for the 200+ people me and my students will be feeding on Thanksgiving. Stock-making is a time-consuming and messy task, and I just don't have that extra day with the kids to just do this step, so I'm knocking it out at home with Edles at my side.

After dinner, had the biggest craving for sugar, but resisted -- I had to, as there are no sweets in the house, and Edie just got to bed, and there is no way I'm either waking Edie or leaving the house with her alone, just to get a sugar fix. Thank goodness I ain't a junkie.

BREAKFAST: 10am, buttermilk pancakes, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
While the laundry was in process and Edie was in a happy state, I dug up a random buttermilk pancake recipe and went for it. Made a lot, enough for another 3 breakfasts in the freezer. However, did not like how they come out. There was a 1 to 2 dry to liquid ratio, and while the result was very tender and moist, even the very-cooked ones tasted on the verge of being mushy/raw. Very filling.

PM SNACK: 1:30pm, glass of apple cider, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Cider season is here again. Gotta constrain myself -- this stuff has just about as many calories as corn-syrup-laden soda.

LUNCH: 3:30pm, large green salad, small quantity of potato chips, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 7pm, seared pork loin, mushroom rice pilaf, a large swig of apple cider, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5 Mushroom pilaf came out ok, just ok. Sauteed long grain brown rice in butter, along with some minced dried mushroom and shallots. Salted it, added chicken stock from the last batch, and cooked slowly covered until soft. Not enough salt, mushroom flavor fell flat. The pork rocked, though. Cut the loin into cubes, salted, then made the pan super hot with chicken fat in it. After resting the meat, I found I had cooked it just as I liked it. Crispy seared crust on the outside, juicy with a hint of pink at the middle. Pat myself on the back for that one.

EVENING SNACK: 9:15pm, the good yogurt with extra honey, homemade vanilla extract and cashews, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
I thought the sugar craving would fade as dinner worked into my system, but it just got worse. This breakfast became a good after-dinner sniggidysnack.

EVIL SNACK: 12-1am, potatochips, pancake
Not so much hungry but craving fat, craving salt. Very odd. Am I pregnant?

No comments: