Friday, November 13

Mothers

I did a quick shop in the hood while doing the laundry. I stopped into the kosher bakery on my block, and picked up some potato nick and ruggelah. There was an old man beside me ordering, had to be in his 80s and a life-long Lower East Sider. Hearing aide, tweed sports coat, wool flat-cap, thick glasses, hunched a bit. He opened an old thick wallet to get his money out, and in the plastic part which holds cards and IDs, on the top facing out was a photograph.

It was a photograph of an old smiling woman wearing a house-coat/mumu kind of thing, pointy cat-eye glasses, gray hair tied back and piled on top of her head, and an ornate curtain behind her. She was smiling broadly, which seemed to accentuate the globular nature of her Eastern European nose. The picture looked faded, the colors turning black and white, probably taken in the mid to late 60s. At first I thought this was his wife, but the picture was too old for a person in it looking that old....it must of been his mother. It made me really sad for a moment -- is this old man hanging on that closely to a memory of his dear departed mom? I think of my mom daily -- it's hard not to when you have an infant that shares her name -- but that picture both made me miss my mom and made me thank goodness that we had appropriate bounderies when she was alive. I mean, dude. It's your mom. Get over it!

Saw "2012" this evening. Question: If all the wealthy people in the world were to get into arks to save themselves from massive floods, and they were to take 2 of every animal like they did in the biblical story, and THEN you crammed 10s of 1000s of extra people who weren't planned for onto said ark, after a month at sea don't you think most of those animals would get eaten? That the ark would be kinda like Superdome II? Stupid Hollywood blockbusters.

BREAKFAST: 9:15am, good yogurt with homemade vanilla extract, honey, cashews, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
My vanilla extract tastes different than the store bought stuff, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Is it more vanilla-y? Less boozy? It sure looks different, like a liquidy milk chocolate rather than watery black coffee.

LUNCH: 1:30pm, hot dog, potato nick, some chocolate rugellah, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
D from SI and her 2 year old A came over for a visit, I offered either homemade pasta with spinach and shrimp or this lunch, this lunch was much more 2-year-old friendly. I saw first hand what "Terrible 2s" mean, I wonder if Edie will ever be like that. Totally cute but really exhausting to even watch. Like watching a really long special-effects driven disaster movie...

DINNER: 10pm, 2 sices sausage pizza, salad, 1 beer, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Out at Patsy's after a movie with friends. Not my idea, but enjoyed it. In the basement, going to the bathroom, saw a large stack of #10 cans of roasted peppers. Lazy bums!

No comments: