Sunday, March 7

For the love of pork.

A good Sunday. After cooking up a healthy significant breakfast, helped B clean up the house bit before some cousins and friends came over to kick off the bike season with a small tour around the tip of Manhattan. An afternoon jaunt to Greenpoint for some authentic Polish food, small in quantity, topped off with sprint down to Red Hook for a drink in a salty bar. A good edge-of-Spring day. Didn't stick to Brown's rules (which are now in the left hand column of this blog) strictly, but getting better. Next week will be improved. Let's say the week starts on Monday...

BREAKFAST:
8:45am, 2.5 wholewheat waffles, 3 slices of bacon, 1.75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Hungry for a real big breakfast, and didn't want to give up control to a restaurant. Made my waffles, replacing white flower with whole wheat pastry flour. I also left the eggs out over night to bring them to room temp, and zapped the milk to make it slightly warm. The melted butter did not seize, and the egg whites became much more solid, making for a lighter waffle. The taste of the whole wheat was very mild, in a pleasant nutty way. Definitely the new standard. Gonna experiment with brown sugar and AP whole wheat next...

Brown's rules permits red meat but once a week, which at the outset I imagined as cow. Does red meat also mean pork, lamb, buffalo and bear? Isn't pork the other white meat?! -sigh- I guess it is, I just love pork so much. On the negative side, I ate red meat for breakfast. On the positive side, it was well below an 8 oz serving and half of my usual breakfast bacon intake...

PM SNACK:
2:15pm, bite of bagel with creamcheese, bite of pizza, half bite of dry ruggelah
Riding around with cousins and friends, doing a bit of the tour thing. Didn't want to eat, but ya gotta take a bite to be a participant.

LUNCH: 4pm, 6 mixed perogies, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Two potato/cheese, two kraut and two meat. Again, went against Brown's rules and had another bite of ride meat, but much less than a serving, maybe an ounce. How do they make this meat in the perogie? I suspect it's been ground then boiled to make stock, then tossed with a few spices, and stuffed.

PM SNACK: 5:30pm, 1 pint of beer, 1 bite of frito pie, a small quiver of french fries, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
D, E, K and I popped over to Red Hook for a drink. E ordered a horrible looking frito pie -- a crock full of fritos, topped with a very generous portion of all-beef no-bean chili, and a layer of what must of been cheese-wiz. I didn't want to taste it, but when I refused, E asked me if I was a food snob. Urg! I'll eat anything!! It was as gross as I expected, but makes me want to make some at home. I'll use my "whole grain" tortilla chips, my home-ground skyline chili, and a good quality raw milk sharp cheddar. Red meat IS allowed once a week....

DINNER:
8pm, baked sole with herbes de Provance, kale and brown rice, chocolate ice cream, small amount of dark chocolate and 3 graham crackers, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Three small fillets of sole (6 oz) baked with some herbs and a little pat of butter, small delicate flavor, needed a little salt. I reheated the mushroom brown rice from earlier in the week, and cut up a full head of fresh kale into it. Threw in some chicken stock, and let that cook the kale down a little and revive the rice. Still a little too salty, but a good save.

After a second portion of kale and rice, realized I had ridden about 20 miles today and was a bit undercalorized. Rather than wait until 10 to lose my mind, I powered through a delicious desert, full on. B berated me for risking my sleep tonight, but hopefully the bike ride will counter it.

No comments: