Thursday, October 7

My Inner-Louis

I had my check up this morning, my blood pressure is 120/90, which the doctor & I were very happy about. Pending some blood, pee & chest x-rays, all signs point to perfect health for a 39 year old guy.

Spent the afternoon teaching the first class of the culinary after-school program. 15 students, a good start, hopefully we'll retain 8-10 by the end of the semester. Went really well -- I found since all the students were new and didn't know me, it was an opportunity to change up my teaching style a little bit. I called on my inner-Louis and made myself a bit more aggressive, a bit more shouty, and a bit more full of side-stories from my time in the biz to illustrate points -- less academic, more 'street', but with a focus on the content. It seemed to work, because the kids snapped too, the work got done efficiently, the cleaning process was good from the get-go, and on the end-of-class discussion, every one seemed to be a little bit glowy with excitement.

I rode over to Brooklyn Borough Hall to hang out at an Italian Heritage month even in their main room, celebrating Italian food and restaurants -- the resto had a little space among the many restaurants for people to sample food. It was fun running around stuffing myself, though honestly most of the food was very unremarkable, except for one spot that was doing thin little slices of octopus terrine with the most wonderful cucumber-salsa.

BREAKFAST: 9am, pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese, handful of chocolate covered espresso beans,  1 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 12:30pm, ramen noodles, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

SCHOOL TASTINGS: 5-6:30pm, about a cup worth of fruit smoothies, some chips and freshly made salsa, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5\'
DINNER: 7:30pm, lots of different samples of Italian dishes, a few desert things, pelegrino, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: