Wednesday, November 3

Super-thin!

Uh oh. It just occurred to me I'm going to have to take my one sweet-exception tomorrow for the week instead of during snickling with T. I have a chocolate-tasting scheduled with my students tomorrow. It'll be one milk chocolate, and 4 different levels of dark chocolate. It's not about scarfing a ton of chocolate, but putting a little bit on the tongue, feeling it melt, swishing it around the entire tongue, and paying attention to the different flavor notes. This (and cheese) is the only tasting we do on this level, as they are all too young to sample wine.

BREAKFAST: 7:45am, iced green tea, the good oatmeal, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Second time around, the oatmeal is still good, but I may have went a shade too far with the salt. Next batch, I'm going to measure rather than just do it by feel, so I can adjust more accurately to make the good oatmeal perfect.

LUNCH: 12:30pm, 3 slices of experimental pizza, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
I had my cook make a super-thin pizza, with basil cooked on to it. What I didn't know is that due to an oopsy, the oven was not getting hot. I checked the pizza after 10 minutes, and it looked like it was just put in. The oven was hovering at 259 (the proper temp is 550), so I found the issue and it started to slowly rise. So the thin pizza stayed in the oven for about 45 minutes, until the crust looked a little tan. It was extraordinarily cracker-like, the cheese never spread, just formed a crunchy blistered skin with a bit of cheesy flavor underneath, and most wonderful of all, the basil leaves on top dried out like Japanese nori sheets, thin crackly & see-through, and bursting with basil flavor. The pizza had become a pizza-cracker: thin and crunchy, not the least-bit burnt. It reminded more than a little of lavash crackers. If it wasn't for the 45-minute cook time at a different temp, I would push to have this cracker-pizza on the menu. It would make an AMAZING bar-snack. Maybe when I have my own joint....

PM SNACK:
5:15pm, green salad, handful of industrial pretzel bites, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
A colleague brought in some store-bought mustard-onion pretzel that were surprisingly gross. Why do people eat this maltodextrin-palm oil laced garbage?

DINNER:
6:15pm,  2 meatballs, sliced roasted potatoes, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 11pm, burger, fries, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: