Monday, July 4

4th of July Challenge

The HVS and I spoke of a new challenge for the month, it's been evolving in my head for more than a week now. Though officially it's a one-month weight-loss challenge, I think this month may be for an ongoing basis:
  • Limit restaurant meals to one a week and delivery meals to one a week. 
  • Limit desserts to three a week total, including sweet snacks.
  • Eat 75% or more of all the produce we get from our CSA on Tuesdays during the week.
  • Devise at least one dish each week to be made in quantity to last beyond the week via freezer and fridge, that is both Edie-friendly and B-friendly.
I'm open to suggetions on the last one. I would love 10 recipes that I could rotate. Currently, I have two warhorses in my cannon:
  1. Pasta with homemade tomato sauce.
  2. Mini burritos, whole wheat tortilla filled with slow-cooked black beans, guac, cheese and sometimes rice
I'm thinking 7 or 8 recipes needs to be vegetarian, 2 or 3 can be meaty or all meat. I think making meatballs from scratch (including grinding the meat myself) is a good one. Homemade breaded fish sticks or chicken fingers might be a good one. Bread maybe, or is that more of a side utility food? Pesto? Hummus? Gnocci? Rice & beans? Rice & lentil? Falafel?

TODAY'S COOKING:
Corn on the cob: Boiled it for a spare 4 minutes, slathered on some butter and salt (olive oil for the HVS), came out perfect -- sweet, firm but not too firm, toothsome. My parents used to boil the hell out of corn, but I suppose it was genetically different back then,

AM SNACK: 9am, iced green tea

BRUNCH: 11:45pm, 2 small burritos, small amount of pasta, small cup of ice cream, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

SNICKLELUNCH:  2:30pm, rice & lentils, healthsalad, corn on the cob, pickle, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


SNICKLEDINNER: 7pm, roasted potato & snap peas with breaded tilapia, mango sorbet, lime seltzer, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 10:30pm, 2 ice cream sandwiches




No comments: