Sunday, July 3

Truffle conundrum

Got to bed around 11, woke around 9 -- I ate kinda poorly the 2nd half of the day, I wonder if that was directly responsible for my utter lack of energy after 7 or so.

B grabbed an ice cream sandwich this morning while I was churning custard, and Edie was on her lap and insisted on sharing the "papa cake". Edie later woke up cranky from her nap, and only uncrankified after her pasta lunch when given some watermelon....which instead of just eating, she would lick a bunch of times like it was ice cream before eating it properly. I wonder if the sugar of the ice cream made her cranky. I think we may need to keep letting her eat anything and everything she wants EXCEPT sweets, and we'll have to limit our own intake when around her. Learning to feed, indeed.

TODAY'S COOKING
Vanilla Ice Cream: I made this custard on Friday but forgot to freeze the barrel, so I churned this morning. The custard was in the back of the fridge, on top, and about 1/3 of it froze. Frozen custard is NOT ice cream, as it freezes while stationary rather than being constantly scraped off a cold surface. So instead of having air whipped in and crystals being so tiny as to be smooth, instead you get an icey block with long, sharp crystals. I broke it up and stirred it the best I could, but the final result still has a little bit of icy crunch to it, boooo.

AM SNACK: 9:15am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 10:30am, toasted bagel with cream cheese, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 10:15am, spoonful of vanilla ice cream

LUNCH: 1:45pm, one vanilla ice cream sandwich, a few whole wheat farmer's market pretzels, a small bowl of health salad, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
Putting together ice cream novelties, one ended up in my mouth. A little grazing in the kitchen before heading off to a July 4 gathering in Jersey, where I suspect there will be food.

DINNER: 6pm, creamy pasta, pizza with marscapone & prosciutto, 1 beer, 1 glass prosecco, 1.5 ice cream sandwiches, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
For a 4th of July meal, this could have been a lot worse! The pizza-thing our hosts made was redolent in truffle oil, which makes me think....hmmm, not sure whether I love or loathe truffle oil. Truffles, I love (other than the price), but truffle oil, I dunno. Something weird about it, rings a wrong note, but it does remind me of truffles.


EVENING SNACK: 10pm, whole wheat pretzels, cashews & chocolate chips, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: