Thursday, March 29

Farty Brain

I had a cooking brain fart today. On a semi-regular basis, I take the taped-up jar I keep my spent vanilla beans soaking in 180 proof vodka and blend it, strain it through cheese clothe and put it back in the jar, cutting it with about 50% water. This is vanilla extract about 5x stronger in vanilla flavor than store-bought stuff, and about 1/10 the price, using essentially kitchen garbage to make something very useful.

For some reason today, I put the slurry into a food processor instead of a blender. Turn it on, VOOSH, a spray of murky booze all over the kitchen, going the the seams of the processor barrel. -sigh- I always use a (water tight) blender, why did I do that?! Ended up wasting about half the batch.

AM SNACK: 7:15am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 9:30am, hardcore oatmeal, banana, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


LUNCH: noon, breaded shrimp, 4oz whole wheat pasta with homemade sauce, large green salad, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


SCHOOL SNACK: 6pm, a couple of brownie squares, can of diet coke, a few pieces of roast beef, prosciutto and shrimp, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


DINNER: 8:45pm, whole grain pretzel rods with homemade french onion dip, 5 small pancakes, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 10pm, chocolate chips & peanuts, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: