Friday, April 6

Passover in My Parents Presence

Woke up early on my own, got the laundry in -- good thing, because Friday morning before the Sabbath AND a major Jewish holiday = crime-scene-like pressure on the laundry room. Got to do a post-knish food shop with Edie, make salad, and have a good lunch. Took a rental car to NJ for a Seder with my cousin & peeps.

This is my dad's side of the family, his older brother's only child, who is about 15 yrs older than me. I took a few years off from this Seder after my parents passed away, glad I started attending again. It's nice to be among people who knew and also loved and appreciated my parents, a few like my cousin actually knew them longer than I. Another was the wife of my dad's younger brother, nice to have my parent's generation present. That both my children bare my parent's name was not lost on this bunch.

The food has changed over the years, more and more of it is prepared outside the home by professionals, but a few dishes remain rock solidly home and hand made (the meatballs in a sweet sauce) and one is even better (the gefilte was cut from a fresh loaf, rather than out of a slimy jar). I contributed passover-style knishes, and everyone was very complimentary, though I wish I was better at taking them, I just had to grit my teeth and say "thank you" with out criticizing them -- they really were not the best I could produce. Who knows, maybe the passover knish will become another tradition. Hopefully someday B's side of the family will do Passover in our home, I'd love to blow the doors of that meal...


BREAKFAST: 7am, 4 small pancakes, water, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

AM SNACK: 9am, cold slice of pizza, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
It had almost no cheese on it, and was thin, therefore the small measure...

LUNCH: 11:45am, ham & Swiss on wholewheat, fried in butter, large green salad, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Light on the ham and Swiss, lightly buttered the pan, 100% whole wheat bread pressed with a heavy pot. Volume-wise, ate about 4x more salad than sandwich, felt right.


PM SNACK: 1pm, homemade granola bar, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5 


PM SNACK: 4:30pm, one & half slices of streetza, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


SEDER DINNER: 6:30pm, hillel sandwich, gefilte fish, matzoball soup, meatballs and matzo muffin, a bite of chicken & stuffing, a bite of salad, a few glasses of grape juice, a shot of Slivovitz, a few chocolatey things, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: