Wednesday, May 30

Count Norbert

Woke up at 5am feeling a bit ill, got it together by 9am. Something didn't sit right, perhaps last night's pizza?

Speaking of that pizza, it got me thinking. I'll be shaking up this blog in a bit, but there are certain things I think I should start now in the roll up. Yesterday, I ate pretty healthily, homemade reasonable breakfast, a vegetable-laden vegetarian lunch, dinner with a small piece of broiled fish, brown rice and a lot of vegetables. Despite that, I was very, very hungry come 8pm or so, craving sugar. The frozen pizza hit the spot and squelched my appetite. I needed more calories, not sugar.

How many calories do I need? Reporting estimated "bowls" to consider how much I actually eat is, among other things, ineffective in tracking quantity, a.k.a. calories. So instead of bowls, I'm going to report calories as best I can. It may take a month or two to get to the point where I can account for all calories through the day, but it's an evolving process, I guess.

Funny, when we served the final meal at my class this evening, I cut the cheesecake we made into 32 slices -- close to the recommended serving. The kids whined a little about how small the pieces were, and all served double portions for themselves. Hmmm.

THE COUNT: +/-2035

AM SNACK: 8:45am, iced green tea, pint, 45 calories
For some reason when I made new tea last night, I added 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon instead of 1/4. Too sweet. Not undrinkable canned ice tea sweet, but too sweet. Green tea is zero calories, but .5oz of sugar adds the cals.

LUNCH: 11:45am, PB&J on whole wheat toast, momma salad with ranch, water, 670 calories
Easy to forget how many calories in dressing, how little in cucumber.

SCHOOL DINNER: 6:30pm, fried shrimp, baked ziti, asparagus, cheesecake, can of coke (145cal), ?? cal
I kept my portions at a reasonable amount, but the ziti was definitely 6-8oz, not the recommended 2. Fried shrimp was nibbled on for 30 minutes, so who knows. I'd estimate, including the coke, 1000 or so calories.


EVENING SNACK: 9:15pm, peanuts & chocolate chips, 330 calories



No comments: