Tuesday, June 12

Granola is a serious energy food.

Lifted weights in the morning -- one rep of 10 at the current weight is not getting me very sore -- next week I'm going to go to the next level of weight at 5 reps, plus rethink my pull-ups. I still have not done one, and haven't really improved. I consulted this rather butch website, and will start doing assisted and negative pull ups on a step stool. Hopefully as the weight comes down, my pull ups will go up. I'm not going to start the heavier weights this week because I'm riding a century on Saturday, don't want to be sore for it.

TODAY'S COOKING
Olive Oil Granola: Today's total batch came to 13,000 calories. Thirteen THOUSAND. Holy moly, I knew this stuff is energy dense, but wow. I think I'm going to skip making bars (which add a whole bunch more calories and just eat it loose per gram. Nuts and seeds have just as much calories as candy, chocolate, sugar n' shiz. Regardless, it's much more nutrient dense and unlike candy, this stuff actually makes you feel better after gobbling it, not worse. Still, 110 grams (1 dry 8oz dry cup) is 850 calories, jeebzuz. I can see why the HVS is addicted to this stuff, it's probably the most calorie-dense vegany thing she allows herself!

Health salad: With most of the recipe being cabbage, the oil and sugar take a back seat, and the vinegar and salt has negligible calories. The whole batch is 950 cal, which makes a solid 150 g serving only about 150 cal. Healthy, indeed.

Sofrito beans: Roasted 3 green peppers on the stove top, put it in the blender with 2 scoops of caramelized onion, 2 heads of peeled garlic, 1/3 cup of olive oil, and fennel, cilantro and scallions from today's CSA drop. Blended until smooth, then put in a pot with 56 oz of canned black beans, salted a little, then set on low fire to simmer away for 5 or 6 hours, until all the beans kinda lose their identity and join in a nice beany mass. Won't be able to weigh to get a serving reading on it, but the whole pot is 2,325. I think their is at least 10 servings in there, so not bad, and it's smelling up the kitchen something amazin'.

THE COUNT: 2960

AM SNACK: 7:30am, iced green tea, 25 cal
Sweetness is right, but tastes a little plasticky -- I think I put the tea in pitchers when it was too hot. Will let it go for another day or two before deciding to keep or toss it.

BREAKFAST: 9:45am, hardcore oatmeal, banana, water, 525 cal


LUNCH: 2pm, quarter pounder with cheese, 20oz diet coke, medium fries, 890 cal
It's kinda obscene that one of the things that attracted me to lunch at McDonald's today was the calorie counts provided. It was raining, I had a baby strapped to me. Comfy padded seat at a dinette, Mil put in a secure, heavy baby seat right next to me. On the flip side of the paper place mat was nutritional info to everything sold in the store. Interestingly when I order the meal, the person behind the counter said, "Large?" Not "supersize", f@ckers. I said, "No, medium, please". Medium is still a 20oz drink -- a small is a full 16oz pint, ridiculous.

DINNER: 7:15pm, whole wheat rotini with a little sauce and parm, 1 baked fillet of sole, momma salad with ranch, 1020 cal

EVENING SNACK: 8pm, homemade fudge brownie, +/- 500 cal

No comments: