Saturday, October 13

Bicycle yoga?

ADDENDA:
Woke up at 4:30am, meant to wake at 5 but was feeling a little unsettled and anxious to ride after the week I've had. Got out of the train at Yonkers and by the time I got to the trailhead, the sun was just coming up, lighting up the cliffs across the river. Taking the Old Croton Aqueduct trail means your under a tree canopy almost the whole ride, but there are a few spots where the sun breaks on a clearing....and at 8am after freezing for the first hour, finally waking up, it was glorious. I stopped to appreciate the sun, remembered that a whole bunch of the yoga stuff seemed to be in praise of living or the sun or something. So with the warm sun bathing my chilled face and chest, I put my hands together in the namaste position, raised them above an in front of my head in a good stretch, brought them down and did a few breathing exercises, where I brought my breathe in through my nose, and kinda snorted it out fast in rapid succession. Lotta snot came out (was cold), but had the desired effect of making the sun just seem a little bit....sunnier.

Drive train failed soon after I left to come back from the reservoir, walked for an hour and 20 to get to the train. Bummer about the bike and the ride, but it was a spectacular fall day, it was the best part of the scenic aqueduct trail to walk, colors starting to change, crisp air, and I lucked out and caught an express train from Croton that was running late so it skipped all stops til Manhattan! Probably the most joyous failed ride ever.

BREAKFAST: 5am, hippie crispex with good milk, hunger 3/5
A slight craving for sugar, not bad but unusual this early. New cereal from Wholefoods, an all-organic all-whole grain knockoff of Crispex

SNACK: 6am, large conventional donut, hunger 3/5
Waking up more, more sugar craving. Road to Grand Central, the good local donut shop not open yet. This donut was about 2x bigger than my local shop, and less than half the price, and being in Grand Central must pay crazy rent. OK, they sell more quantity, but I could just taste the cheapness and weird preservatives in the texture and weird overly-sweet frosting. Not very satisfactory.

SNACK: 9am, 3 small apple cider donuts, hunger 3/5
This is what I'm talkin' bout! Farmers market just opening up in Ossining, the apple people sell their own appley donuts, so yummy, you can taste the brown sugar, the whole wheat, little flecks of soft fried apple, mmmm....

SNACK: 11:30am, large handful of whole wheat unsalted pretzels, hunger 4/5
On the train home.

LUNCH: 1:30pm, beef ravioli with pesto, water, hunger 4/5
Craving sweets, want to avoid indulging till dinner. Filled, but not stuffed. Sugar would turn off my hunger, but just gonna wait.

PM SNACK: 3pm, a few handfuls of veggie booty, hunger 3/5

DINNER: 6pm, lots of bread, a few small samples of antipastos, cavatelli with hot sausage, water, 1 half glass prosecco, hunger 4/5
Went to Frankies with various members of B's family who we don't see often enough. This is where we hosted the dinner for out of towners before our wedding. One of the family-style dishes we served was this spicy cavatelli, which I didn't really like because it was too spicy. Funny thing is, I wanted it tonight because that flavor was so associated with that happy time and this restaurant - I only realized this after my first bite!

EVENING SNACK: 8pm, apple crisp with buttermilk gelato, hunger 3/5
Everyone came back to ours, nice that I could serve them a homemade dessert. The gelato, however, crystallized because the new bunker freezer is set too cold. Live and learn.

No comments: