Tuesday, May 12

"More Better"

I had one of those rare days that started really good and then just got better as it went along. Woke up at 8, got the laundry in and sung the very pregnant B out of her sleep. Went over to Essex market to Shopsin's for breakfast, where Kenny Shopsin was holding court in the tiny dining room, explaining his technique for making and saving stock. ("Reduce it until it's...REDUCED! Get it in ice cube tray, and heat it up in watah." He's just like he is in the documentary.)

Then I popped in to the cheese counter right next door and introduced myself to Anne Saxelby, who is a total sweetheart. I heard her speak at school yesterday, but was too out of it and tired to interact. I asked her for cheese recommendations for pizza, and it turns out she's friends with Mark from Pizza a Casa, whom I assisted a class with at the Astor Wine Center. I ended up shootin' the bull with her for a while, getting a bunch of laffs with a few L stories. Good times.

Then some graphics work, then off to yoga with T, and a good snickle after. I really don't have enough T-Time in my life. Home to shower then off to the 'rant.

I totally forgot, but an old friend from high school came in and said there would be some friends from our graduating class coming in for an echo of the reunion I missed a few weeks ago, due to the hours I've been working. So 8 old compadres from 20-odd years ago materialized for a meal, and I spent the evening checking in on the kitchen and hanging out and catching up. It's quite frightening that one of them (hi D!) actually reads this blog and was quoting bits back to me. It was quite an honor that these folk from my not-so-recent past would take the time and effort to come to the place I've been chained to for the last 3 months or so and spend the evening. I remember myself as being a bit of an introvert, uncomfortable in my own skin and feeling out of place, but judging from the affection everyone seemed to have for each other (and lil' ol' me), perhaps my perception of self was a bit colored by the immature 17 year old me.

It just wasn't a day that happens every, errr, day. It could only be better if I spent more time with B. Or if she were to pop and release the baby unto the world. -sigh-

My two main kitchen workers, a Mexicana and an Afghani, have a limited grasp of English grammar, but both agree that when things are done properly, it is "more better." Today was definitely more better.

BREAKFAST: 9am, ricotta lime pancakes, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5
Shopsin's has about 1000 things on the menu, and about 30 pancake variations. These pancakes had ricotta and lime juice (and I suspect some grated rind) tucked pleasantly in the center of the otherwise ordinary pancakes, really filling and tasty. Gonna try this trick with my own homemade batter.

AM SNACK: 9:30am, snippet of cheeses
Anne sampled me some cheeses, all delicious, so I got a few quarter pounds of Grayson and Raclette to play with.

SNICKLE SNACK: 1:45pm, cup of dahl, vegan cesar salad, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 4:45pm, 3 meatballs, sprite, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

RESTAURANT HAZE: 5-10pm, a few glasses of mandorla, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: