Sunday, May 10

Sunday Release

After working almost 15 hours on a Saturday at the restaurant, it was time to ride. Holy crap, it was time to ride. L has been riding me this past week, trying to get me to his definitively undefined amorphously specific and constantly changing standards on the pizza station, and criticising me in not a gentle way. It’s a good thing I’m an adult with a strong sense of self, or I would've gone the way of a rapidly increasing pool of ex-employees. I actually don’t mind the yelling...but he rides the line between effective and cruel.

There were some sweet highlights -- a very pregnant B came in with a few of her friends and it was great fun doting on them (and L comped the meal, which was nice and appropriate.) And Patrick and his gal came in, which was unexpected. L fired the hostess so I had to put on a clean and too-small t-shirt and greet and sit people, while wearing a kilt...yes, put out like a cheap street walker to pimp the pizza! Got out of there by 12, rode home, switched into spandex and met C (he who quit the restaurant weeks ago but I’ve made friends with, he’s just a kid) and we rode south to South Ferry, then a full loop around Manhattan, about 30 miles. We went to Veselka for a meal, was very busy, felt bad for the staff there, but I guess that's what you sign up for in a 24-hour resto. Home by 4:30am, sleep by 5, inspired by Server T made banana walnut muffins for the B and her family on mothers day by 8:30! Glad to be home, appreciating B’s huge belly. Any week now!

I miss my parents something fierce today. Only got 3 hours of sleep, then had a Mother's Day brunch/mini pre-baby celebration at cousin’s place. Was really nice to be a part of such a strong and happy extended family unit, even though it sucks that it makes me feel the loss of my own family that much more. Hopefully those feelings will recede when the mini-B is out and about!

BREAKFAST: 9am, 3 freshly baked banana walnut muffins, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Used this recipe, but only as a jump off. Added an egg, doubled the baking soda and the salt, melted the butter instead of softening, added eggs to the liquid rather than with the dry, added a little whole milk to add extra silkiness and moisture, used whole wheat pastry flour instead of straight whole wheat, pulled back on the nutmeg because I was freshly grating it, scraped out two vanilla beans instead of extract, and folded the wet into the dry minimally, so little that there were pockets of dry powder in the mix but I knew most would bake out. I usually don't improvise on a baking recipe until I make it once (so I know how my kitchen and equipment is influencing the results), but I just kinda vibed this one, inspired by some conversations I've been having with a server (and friend) at the resto who sounds like a pretty accomplished home cook. I think she was making these muffins, too, and sounded really yummy. Next time, though, out with the walnuts and in with the dark chocolate chips. Oh yes.

BRUNCH DAZE: 11:30am-5pm, a few pickles, a half bagel with cream cheese, lox, onion and tomato, a large number of chocolates and chocolaty things, a sip of booze, water, cheese and crackers, 2 bowl, hunger 4/5
Long day of grazing at B's cousin, lots of yummies, good vibes, compliments on my muffins, pizza talk. Went into the living room to take a nap, and when I woke up a few hours later, the whole family was around me, snacking, livin' it up, was very nice way to come out of a rejuvenating nap.

DINNER: 8:45pm, roast pork & tofu with rice, shrimp toast, wonton soup, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Comfort dinner horray!

No comments: