Sunday, September 6

More brownies, in much larger quantities

B, Edles and I did another shopping/strolling trip to get B ready for work, this time to Park Slope. Wow, lot of strollers competing for space. They need bike lanes AND stroller lanes.

We popped over to Clinton Hill to visit my friend C, who is about 6 months preggers, who are in a new condo with her husband near Bed Stuy. A few days ago, I gave her a produce and equipment list, and when we got in around 3:15pm I got straight to work in their new kitchen, pushing out about 3 courses and an pre-dinner cooler, serving the final desert around 6:15pm. Working 7 or 8 different recipes, from the super casual (lemonade) to the first time since c-school (beurre blanc, from my classroom recipe card) at once was fun, and reminded me a) I enjoy cooking ornately and b) I'm not bad at it. I goofed a few little things, but despite working in an unfamiliar kitchen with a loose pantry, I think everyone was happy.

I've been contemplating projects for the upcoming months involving, among other things, cooking. This meal was a nice reminder that fun is on the horizon. Now if only Edie would start eating stuff I can make for her, now THAT will be amazing...

The problem with pot brownies is that no matter how good it tastes, having more than one dose can lead to an unpleasant time. So I made brownies at C's house using the same recipe, minus the active ingredient.

BREAKFAST: 10am, slice of cold pizza, gatorade, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Pizza is a lunch and dinner food, but whenever it's brought up as a breakfast food, it's "cold pizza from the night before." Fresh-moz pizza a day out is kinda gross, but this pizza was from a slice joint. Still not very good cold, I don't care what nobody says yo.

PM SNACK:
1pm, cherry ice, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK:
2:30pm, small piece of cheese sandwich, 1 chocolate covered graham cracker , .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER:
5:45pm, pan fried scallops with beurre blanc, cooked spinach, brown rice pilaf, bruschetta, lemonade, wine, water, brownies, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5
First thing when we got to C's house, I made a simple syrup and busted out a pitcher of lemonade. Made the brownies and got them into the oven. Then I set up the pilaf to cook, which would take an hour. Once on, chopped tomatoes and fried a hearty multi-grain bread in olive oil, got out the bruschetta appetizer. Fried a mess of spinach in chicken fat, shallots and garlic, finished with salt. Made beurre blanc: reduce wine and vinegar with shallot, bay leaf and peppercorns. When almost dry, whisk in cubes of cold butter. Strain, season, reserve. Lastly, coated scallops in flower and fried in chicken fat in a cast iron skillet, turned once and finished in the oven.

No comments: