Saturday, April 10

Cheeky

The day was centered around having lunch with some friends at Pulino's, then having a date with B in the evening, involving dinner out at a restaurant. Lunch included an afogato, a scoop of gelato in a shot of espresso. The espresso was cooled, so the gelato didn't melt too fast, causing me to drink a little of the minimally sweetened stuff before the ice cream really hit it.... hmmmm. I think I like espresso. I've never really drank coffee (or smoked cigarettes) because I was bummed by my mom's addictive behavior, but I think I may have to reconsider a good cup of espresso. Manhattan Special snuck in, but now it seems too sweet, acidy and carbonated.

Definitely ate a little too much, and ate a little too much at dinner, but in both cases it was sharing such pleasure with who I was eating with, it seemed wrong to eat less. I ordered beef cheeks at dinner, an extremely tough, gristly piece of meet that when slow braised properly in beef stock becomes amazingly tender and flavorful -- this was the first time I've had it since c-school, and made me sorry my wife is attempting vegetarianism, as this is the kind of dish that kind of encapsulates how good an extreme "beefy" flavor can be.

I gotta get on the wagon, eating-wise.

BREAKFAST: 7:30am, organic cheerios with organic dead milk, glass of iced mint green tea, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 11:30am, a pizza's worth of pizza, a little smoked sable, a little fennel salad, lemoncello cocktail, water, afogato, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4.5

DINNER: 6pm, braised beef cheek with potato and polenta chips, eggplant parm, various chocolate things, bread, water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: